Got an ex with a "blown trans"

ZBlackBeast

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer/SHO
95 4r55e 192k

So I start playing with the trans and transfer case. I go to put in in R, D, 2 and 1 and obviously nothing. There is also NO noise from the trans mission what-so-ever. I cycle the transfercase through all its positions and I hear the relay click and after I got it in 4low I rolled it backwards and then put it back in 2wd and i heard the gears clunk etc.

Now, I woke up this morning and checked the fluids (oil and trans fluid). The oil is blacker than the paint and the trans fluid while red smells like crap and is obviously past its service date.

I checked the fluid before and after I started the car. Before it was above the checkered area of the stick, after it just seems like some had splashed onto the stick...

I'm thinking its burnt up.. My thoughts are, the worse of course, that I should just find a good used one and freshen it up a bit. UNLESS someone here thinks I can maybe save it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95 4r55e 192k

So I start playing with the trans and transfer case. I go to put in in R, D, 2 and 1 and obviously nothing. There is also NO noise from the trans mission what-so-ever. I cycle the transfercase through all its positions and I hear the relay click and after I got it in 4low I rolled it backwards and then put it back in 2wd and i heard the gears clunk etc.

Now, I woke up this morning and checked the fluids (oil and trans fluid). The oil is blacker than the paint and the trans fluid while red smells like crap and is obviously past its service date.

I checked the fluid before and after I started the car. Before it was above the checkered area of the stick, after it just seems like some had splashed onto the stick...

I'm thinking its burnt up.. My thoughts are, the worse of course, that I should just find a good used one and freshen it up a bit. UNLESS someone here thinks I can maybe save it.
sounds low... You always check it while running..try adding fluid.can't hurt

I checked it before and after to make sure the pump was in fact, well, pumping. Ill go buy a quart and see if I cant get it to move.

I checked it before and after to make sure the pump was in fact, well, pumping. Ill go buy a quart and see if I cant get it to move.

Worth a try a couple quarts is cheaper than a trans
Good luck

If it doesn't move you will no doubt learn more when you drop the pan.

yeah, adding fluid didn't do ****. ha

If it doesn't move you will no doubt learn more when you drop the pan.

And what should I look for? I'm new to auto trannies..

When you drop the pan you will get a good feel for how bad the thing is hurt. If there are pieces of gasket in the pan, maybe it is just the valve body gasket, pretty easy to tell when you drop the VB, which is also not a big job. There is a outside chance that if the VB gasket is blown you could replace it and go on your way. Not a big chance mind you.

Download and examine the pdf for your transmission from the sticky. It has a lot of info on it.

Generally, if the fluid is burned as you describe your options are rebuild/replace. If the burned fluid is from an internal leak maybe you can fix the leak and get a few more thou miles out if it before it gives up. Be forewarned that it is best to rebuild before it grenades though.

Drop the pan and post a pic. We'll go from there if you like.

^^ What exactly would you like me to take a picture of. I honestly have no experience with auto trannies. I am confident in my ability to rebuild it with the right time and guidance.

I've been doing a lot of reading here and I plan to pull the pan in the next week or so. I don't have an indoor facility to work on so weather is my biggest factor.

Like I said, any advise and tips on what to look for when i get the pan off will help.

Well, if there are pieces, band anchors, a lot of black powder, small metallic shiny chips, they all say different things. It will give a better idea of what you should consider doing.

Sounds good.. We just got bent with some snow, so I have to wait till probably early next week to get it pulled down.

Back