Got another 96 AWD 5.0L - Making one good truck from two | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got another 96 AWD 5.0L - Making one good truck from two

This last weekend I purchased another truck.
This was ITSA5.0's truck
96 5.0L XLT AWD
3" body lift
33" mudders
silver blue paint/blue interior.
150k something miles
Sunroof, power everything, leather

2893pside.jpg

front end damage, needs radiator core support, bumper, headlight bezel, grill, fender, hood, windshield, trans cooler, a/c condensor, and a few other little items. Unlike my green 96 I totalled recently, this truck's frame and front suspension are untouched.

2893front.jpg

the 96 XLT has both air bags deployed, is missing some parts :) exhaust, etc. Sounds pretty mean and rides a little rought as expected. Let me see what I can do about that :) I promised to take the ITSA5.0 for a drive when shes back to her former glory.

This truck is a little rough, but it has character and I really like the color, size, and options.

Here they are together :) Little to they know they are about to become one:
2893together.jpg

I will be taking the drivetrain from my green totalled 96 and transplanting it into the new silver truck. The Green truck has 86K miles on it and I just did a full tune up and emissions package on this engine.
Basically I will take the best of the two 96's and make one nice truck for a dd/tow rig.

I will keep the body lift I think and tire size.
Did I mention I like the color?
2893drives.jpg

2893passf.jpg

ahhh 3 sets of Ford keys :), 3ea, 5.0L drivetrains

I would like to thank Skyler for the great deal and Brett for doing the legwork, helping find this deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is nice. Shouldn't take a whole lot of work to get the body golden again. Good luck! :D

I hope it turns out well. It'd be a fun project. Shouldn't be too bad (knocking on wood). Good luck with it!

-Drew

Isn't she pretty?

I love this truck already!
hahaha Its gonna be a bad mamma jamma when I am done later this summer.....

very nice. that will be a nice looking tow rig, but a little harsh on the gas milage I would think
hope all your projects have been going well, and continue to go well

good luck with ur explorer 410

would love to see pics of it when its all fixed up

gas mileage? Oh brother.....you cant own SUV's and be worried about gas prices, jsut take your foot off the skinny pedal more often, thats how I beat the new prices. Besides after living in So Cal these prices are CHEAP!

When it hits $5 a gallon I'll buy a vespa, but I'll still strap it to the back of my truck :)

And yes the Explorer on 33's with AWD eats gas. Plan is to make it 4wd however with a new T case......

and thanks for the compliments guys! This one is going under the knife later this summer, full drivetrain swap, front end work, body lift fix, I am going to make the rear hatch into my own little camping tent with air mattress, power outlets, and sun blinds :) Then shes going to get a Sport Trac front clip, 4wd t case conversion, and just lots of love.......

can't you change a 5.0l AWD to just a RWD......i mean it's just a pretty straight through swap right?

Back