Got home from the store last night and my engine smelled like a grilled steak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got home from the store last night and my engine smelled like a grilled steak.

Shooter_68

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Maybe I was just hungry...anyways there was smoke coming from the hood on the drivers side. Since I couldn't see anything I decided to check it out the next morning. I got up and checked the radiator level and oil and everything was normal. The motor sounded fine so I drove it. It felt a little off but i wasnt sure if it was just me being paranoid. I got about a mile and a half and pulled over to look under the hood. I could see smoke coming from the rear bolt that attaches the exaust manifold to the motor. Could this be simply backing out and just needs to be tightened? Is there more I need to be looking for? Is this the area of the forums to post this to get the best advice? Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do they have a seal like thing like the headers have/

A number of possibilities:

1. Leaking oil from valve covers (most likely) or head gasket on exhaust manifold causing smoke. This smell is usually not associated with grilling though; motor oil is rarely used as a marinade. Remedy replace valve cover gasket or head gasket.

2. Loose or cracked exhaust manifold. This can usually be heard and there should be no more smoke than normally comes out of the exhaust. Remedy replace manifold if cracked, tighten bolts or install manifold gasket if loose.

3. Neighbor's cat or similar critter crawled up on manifold to get warm. The only remedy that comes to mind includes barbeque sauce.

Hickory or mesquite smoke sauce? Sounds good, just scrape the fur off first.
I actually had a cat fall asleep in the fan shroud on a old truck, no clutch, not pretty.:eek:

HAHAHA thanks for the advice. It appears that the bolt had backed out a full turn and a half. I tightened it back down and the engine stopped sputtering and the smoke stopped. Drove it around the neighborhood twice this time and no more smoke. Now back to the grilling...:D

HAHAHA thanks for the advice. It appears that the bolt had backed out a full turn and a half. I tightened it back down and the engine stopped sputtering and the smoke stopped. Drove it around the neighborhood twice this time and no more smoke. Now back to the grilling...:D

My truck does the same exact thing. Mostly when the power steering pump is near empty(leak) and it the smoke comes out exactly where you described. Ill try to tightin the bolt.

maybe a cat or something was hanging out under your truck and got stuck there.

Hickory or mesquite smoke sauce? Sounds good, just scrape the fur off first.
I actually had a cat fall asleep in the fan shroud on a old truck, no clutch, not pretty.:eek:

I would think cat would go much better with some type of Duck Sauce or Soy Sauce. Maybe like a General Tsoa's sauce

That exact same thing just happened to my neighbor, she was frantic and her kids were delirious. needless to say their cat was carted off to the vet, and I'm not sure it made the return trip home:confused:

Surprisingly the cat was (for the most part) in one piece minus a few large chunks of fur that were spread from radiator to firewall. The engine compartment looked like the truck from Dumb and Dumber!!

Back