Got it while I could, New Mountaineer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got it while I could, New Mountaineer!

fordbluefamily

Reaction score
City, State
North Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mounty, 04 Mounty
With Mercury going the way of the Dodo bird, I figured I had better get a new Mountaineer while I still could. The dealer still swears up and down that Mercury is not going out and will keep their top 3 vehicles to sell at Ford dealers, funny what they will spout to you when you are buying. Even if they do keep the Explorer/Mountaineer around, I do not want a unibody car based vehicle. I actually tow stuff with mine, and appreciate the stability and strength of a full frame vehicle. That said, I went all out and got a 2010 Premier with the way too cool 20" wheels. Its a 2WD as I have no use for AWD or 4x4 here. I kept the 04 Explorer for me to drive to work. I am hoping they have improved the rear end, trans, AC box, and bearing issues and this thing proves even more trouble free than the Explorer.

2010-Mountaineer-1024x768.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice! Good buy. Did you get a good deal? I love those wheels. They really look good on the Mountys. We were looking at them this last winter. We wanted to trade our 08 Mariner. Our dealer only had 1: a demo -- which they were only offering at invoice. They also weren't offering much for our trade. Thus, we walked (and later found a new Hemi Aspen for $12K off sticker :) ). I still like the Mercurys (I had 2 Mariners). They will be missed.

There will be some GREAT deals to be had on the leftover Montainaeers. Congrats

I didnt get 12K off or anything spectacular, but I did better on my trade than I should have. They are not quite at the point where they are selling below invoice, but I wasnt prepared to wait and settle for what was leftover when they had what I wanted now. :D

what did you trade in?

I traded in my 2005 F150. I didnt really drive it a whole lot and only need a truck a few times a year. I have a 91 F150 for a beater truck now as well. I didnt get that attached to the truck, but will still miss it some.

That is a really, really nice looking truck... :thumbsup:

That thing is sick! Looks good. I saw a 2010 Explorer Limited at a local dealer with the same wheels...it is $45,000! I don't know how they are going to even think of selling it. The new interiors in other Fords are so much better.

nice mounty u plan on doing mods to it

Nice buy! The new ones look best in black!

that prolly the first mountaineer that I like! very nice!

I want a set of those wheels! I ve noticed that more and more mountys and explorers are running them so I guess the new generation got those wheels? if so then ill look around to buy a set.

Congratulations on your purchase. Very cool looking. I like the 20" Premier wheels too. Unfortunately, they are not off-road rated and I sometimes do a little light off-roading, so I had to go with the base model and 17" rims with A/T tires.

If they still made the Sable Wagon, my wife would be dragging me off to the LM dealer right now. Her 2004 is aging.

I'm just a bit PO'ed about this decision from Ford. See my comments here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281441

Chris K.

Got the windows tinted today. Looks very nice.
Yeah the "no offroading" is a valid warranty saving note I guess. However, the worst I will do with it involves dirt and gravel roads, driving through a field on the farm, and maybe some snow in the winters. The tires look plenty thick enough to handle those things. Now rock crawling or serious off roading... not a chance. But I wouldn't have bought a Mounty for that kind of duty anyhow.
I too am saddened to see the Mercury brand go away. I have always like the styling differences in things like the Fox and MN12 cougars, Mountaineers, Sables, Mariners, heck even the Topaz was a step up from the Tempo's back in the day....

Back