Got locked out of my EX this week.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got locked out of my EX this week....

MizzouMan_2000

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT! :D
So, I've thought that the keypad entry was a nice idea, but I've been reluctant to rely on it.

The FIRST time I go to use it, it screws me over.

I took my boys sledding earlier this week. When we got to the park, I thought I'd rather than risk losing or getting jabbed by the keys, I decided to tuck them away and use the door keypad to unlock it when we're done. Before I ever left the house I tried it and it worked as I'd expected.

We got to the park, I tucked the key away. We went sledding for an hour or so. Got ready to leave and could not get in my explorer.

When I touched the keypad, the red led at the top lit up nice and bright, but the numbers were extremely faint. I could hardly tell they were lighting up at all - and this was on a cloudy day, so it's not like bright day light was just washing them out. I tried my code and nothing happened. The one LED would blink when I touched the pad, though. I kept trying it and the same thing happened. One attempt I heard the doors lock and the horn honked once.

So, at this point I figured I triggered the antitheft/hacking logic and I recalled that it required some time to try again. I couldn't remember if it was 5 or 10 minutes. By this time I'd called my wife to come get us (luckily she didn't go, too!). So while waiting for her, I let 5 minutes go by and tried again - nothing.

I let another 10 minutes go by & tried again - nothing.

When she got to us, I used the spare key to unlock the door. Then for sh*ts & grins I tried it again. I locked the door with the spare key and tried to use the keypad. The numbers lit up nice and bright and the code worked the first time.

Talk about being pissed. Although it's a lot of seemingly minor things so far, I'm starting to feel very disappointed in my Explorer.
- Multiple MFT issues - although this shouldn't surprise me. I'd read enough to know what I was getting into when I bought it.
- Dome lights don't come on when I open any door - The dealer fixed this 2 weeks ago. I went on a trip for a week, came back and now they don't work - again. But they will work when I hit the unlock button on the key. This is mainly a problem at home when I'm parked in the garage. When I try to put my kids in the car and buckle them up, it's too damned dark to see - even with my moon roof shade open and the garage lights on.
- Keyless entry / keypad issue keeping me locked out.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I was afraid I would get when I traded in my old car to buy my Ex... Trading in a vehicle whose quirks and problems I knew for another vehicle with an entirely new set of quirks and issues, but hoping there wouldn't be any. I guess all vehicles will have them, but it's just frustrating to spend so much money on a vehicle & for it to have such problems.

This is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned and am starting to feel very disappointed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I've thought that the keypad entry was a nice idea, but I've been reluctant to rely on it.

The FIRST time I go to use it, it screws me over.

The one LED would blink when I touched the pad, though. I kept trying it and the same thing happened. One attempt I heard the doors lock and the horn honked once.

<snip>

When she got to us, I used the spare key to unlock the door. Then for sh*ts & grins I tried it again. I locked the door with the spare key and tried to use the keypad. The numbers lit up nice and bright and the code worked the first time.

<snip>

This is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned and am starting to feel very disappointed.

So... wait... You locked yourself out of the vehicle... when you weren't locked out to start with? This is some how the vehicles fault? :wtf:

So... wait... You locked yourself out of the vehicle... when you weren't locked out to start with? This is some how the vehicles fault? :wtf:

I wouldn't have been locked out had the system worked the way it was supposed tto based on the fact I know the pass code. Everyone else is locked out...

I wouldn't have been locked out had the system worked the way it was supposed tto based on the fact I know the pass code. Everyone else is locked out...

Apparently it worked well enough for you to RELOCK the doors. Your complaint is not making any sense at all. Were you so distracted with the button panel that you didn't realize the doors were already unlocked?

you said:
The one LED would blink when I touched the pad, though. I kept trying it and the same thing happened. One attempt I heard the doors lock and the horn honked once.

?????

Seriously...

OK... So I just went out and tried it for myself. I have the IAK so I threw it in the rear passenger seat and then locked the doors by pressing the 7*8, 9*0 buttons together. I also noticed that if you press between these buttons, the door locks. I don't know if it's because I have a big thumb and can hit both buttons at once or that they are just sensitive.

I entered both the factory code and my personal code, roughly 5 times each. It failed to unlock the doors twice.

I also went and pressed random buttons to cause the anti-scan feature to fire off. I waited for 1 minute (as per the user manual) and entered a code... slowly... it worked. FYI you have to press the 3*4 button to unlock the door after you enter the code.

BTW your other problem sounds like a bad or sticking door latch... perhaps your key pad issue is related.

FYI you have to press the 3*4 button to unlock the door after you enter the code.

That is incorrect, you enter the 5 digits to open the drivers door, then follow it by 3/4 to unlock the other 3 passenger doors.

Apparently it worked well enough for you to RELOCK the doors. Your complaint is not making any sense at all. Were you so distracted with the button panel that you didn't realize the doors were already unlocked?

you said:

?????

Seriously...

For pucks sake... The doors were locked and the lock actuated again as if to try to lock the already-locked doors...

OK... So I just went out and tried it for myself. I have the IAK so I threw it in the rear passenger seat and then locked the doors by pressing the 7*8, 9*0 buttons together. I also noticed that if you press between these buttons, the door locks. I don't know if it's because I have a big thumb and can hit both buttons at once or that they are just sensitive.

I entered both the factory code and my personal code, roughly 5 times each. It failed to unlock the doors twice.

I also went and pressed random buttons to cause the anti-scan feature to fire off. I waited for 1 minute (as per the user manual) and entered a code... slowly... it worked. FYI you have to press the 3*4 button to unlock the door after you enter the code.

BTW your other problem sounds like a bad or sticking door latch... perhaps your key pad issue is related.

IAK??

It appeared that after unlocking the doors with the spare key, the system straightened itself out because I was able to lock the doors with my main key still hidden in its original place in the car, then used the key pad pass code to unlock the doors on the first try.

you said:

?????

Seriously...

Also, I don't recall the horn ever honking when the doors lock by using the two-button press on the number pad.

Thanks for sharing Mizzou. I just ordered a 2013 Limited and I was wondering about these new fangled security keys/fob. I typically leave my keys in the 04 Ex and 07 F150 and simply use the keypad to enter.

We will certainly test it out repeatedly at home with 2 sets of keys available before I try that elsewhere.

One thing I've noticed with the keypad is it is sensitive to dust and low moisture content in your hands. Several times I've had to either wipe the pad off or moisten my fingertips to make it accept the input.

For pucks sake... The doors were locked and the lock actuated again as if to try to lock the already-locked doors...

OK, that's better information.

Intelligent Access Key

It won't let me lock the key in the vehicle if it's anywhere inside if I try to lock the doors with the button on the outside door handle. Where as on the XLT with the normal key it won't let you lock the doors while it's in the ignition.

It appeared that after unlocking the doors with the spare key, the system straightened itself out because I was able to lock the doors with my main key still hidden in its original place in the car, then used the key pad pass code to unlock the doors on the first try.

Also, I don't recall the horn ever honking when the doors lock by using the two-button press on the number pad.

Mine doesn't honk ever, no matter what I use to lock the doors. Only if I hit the lock button on the IAK if the doors are already locked. This is the "locate" feature.

One thing I've noticed with the keypad is it is sensitive to dust and low moisture content in your hands. Several times I've had to either wipe the pad off or moisten my fingertips to make it accept the input.

I've noticed this as well.

You have every right to be disapointed in your XLT, just as I am. I also have the similar key pad entry problem, and it works sometimes and then again not....unfortunately I've not been able to duplicate it on demand as required by the Dealer...best regards Plum

The keypad does take time when it's like really cold and wet but it will work. I've relied on the keypad so many times it's not even funny. Keypad has worked every time. It's way easier to press the 9 and 0 buttons to lock the car when I'm fully out than to just press the button on my way out waiting for the passengers to get out first.

Maybe you have a dud keypad? Who knows. I'd say practice with it first, then if it messes up again, complain to your dealer.

That's weird.

The keypad is one thing on the vehicle that has never failed to work for me in hot or cold weather, dry or humid.

...I'm starting to get the feeling that I was afraid I would get when I traded in my old car to buy my Ex... Trading in a vehicle whose quirks and problems I knew for another vehicle with an entirely new set of quirks and issues, but hoping there wouldn't be any. I guess all vehicles will have them, but it's just frustrating to spend so much money on a vehicle & for it to have such problems...

Hi MizzouMan_2000,

I recommend mentioning this to your dealer so they can inspect your Explorer. I can assist by getting your case escalated; just send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll get to work.

Thanks for sharing Mizzou. I just ordered a 2013 Limited...

Congratulation on ordering, FordFool2. I can provide you with weekly updates on yoru Explorer's status. Send me a PM with your order number/dealer name or VIN and I'll keep you in the know. :D

...I'd say practice with it first, then if it messes up again, complain to your dealer.

Great advice, 1995E!

Crystal

So today I went out on a little nature hike while we had a good snow going. When I parked my Ex, I locked the doors with the two-button press on the keypad - this time leaving my keys in my pocket. I wanted to try to recreate the problem I described in the OP. When I came back to my Ex, I tried to use the keypad to unlock, and it showed the same exact problem as described originally. The numbers would not light up to accept my input. The small LED at the very top would blink with each touch of the keypad, but it wouldn't unlock.

When I got home, I parked it in the garage like I normally do. I went back out about an hour or two later and touched the keypad. Nothing happened.

The interior lights still don't work as I'd expect.

Oh and to add to it, MFT randomly gave me some windows-style error box while driving and shut off. It stayed off about 3 minutes before giving me the "performing routine maintencance" message and rebooted... Nice.... real nice....

When the keypad doesn't work just by touching it, it will come alive when I use the unlock button on the key fob to unlock the doors - but what good is it then? None.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We experienced more failures than successes with our keypad and were able to get it replaced under warranty. Took a couple of trips to the dealer but we did get it done. Have not had problems since. 2013 XLT built May 29, 2012. I think some of the keypads must be faulty. Ours worked very intermittently for unlocking, but ironically could nearly ALWAYS lock the car with the 8-9 combo. The keypad was a big deal for us as we had it on our previous vehicle and really like to use it when we scuba dive. Pretty sure those key-chips aren't waterproof!!
Good luck-
Toddy

Back