• Register Today It's free!

Got my B&M tranny cooler now...

ZachMan

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4X4
Which line do I cut on the tranny? The top or the bottom? I know alot of people say different things, but I jsut need to know the best way to install the B&M line.

I am also wondering about how much tranny fluid I am gonna lose when I cut the line? I figure if I install it when everything is cold I shouldn't lose much fluid. I am gonna just take my bumper off and zip tie the cooler on my radiator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install after the radiator cooler is definitely the preferred method.

You don't need to CUT any thing.
A little bit of hose rerouting is all it takes.

MONMIX said:
You don't need to CUT any thing.
A little bit of hose rerouting is all it takes.

Anymore details on this? If I don't have to cut anything I won't. I haven't looked at the instructions in awhile, but I was thinking I had to cut a hose.

Please tell me how you installed the B&M line.

Is there a way to cool the manual transmission?

Bob

no the 5 speed does not pump fluid, itr jsut gets a bath in it......
You can change the fluid often and run synthetic in the 5 speed, but they shouldnt need cooling

Thanks, 410. My manual is hard to shift into 1st when its hot. Was overhauled about 25,000 miles ago. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic, but its still shifts a little hard. Was thinking about adding a cooler, but I know I would have to buy some kind of pump. Interesting science project, but probably not worth it.

Bob

ZachMan said:
Anymore details on this? If I don't have to cut anything I won't. I haven't looked at the instructions in awhile, but I was thinking I had to cut a hose.

Please tell me how you installed the B&M line.

here is my set up.
The hose comming into the filter is origonal and it used go right to the factory cooler, I added the one from the filter to the B&M, and from the B&M to the factory, then the one from the factory back is origonal.

Attachments

• trannycombo.jpg
    trannycombo.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 275

sweet! :D

Well, that makes since, but I don't have an after market filter and my Ex didn't come with a cooler from the factory so thats why I am confused on where to plug in everything.

Plus it included this pretty long hose that I though ran all the way to the tranny itself somewhere.

I am 90% sure you have the factory aux cooler.

MONMIX said:
I am 90% sure you have the factory aux cooler.

I've looked behind my bumper many times and never saw it. By aux cooler do you mean tranny cooler? (Maybe your speaking of something else)

I do know when I got the Ex. in for its first oil change it had a huge filter on it like one that goes to a diesel truck (really long) the service guy said I must have an oil cooler or something like that, but from what I can see (with the front bumper on) I have no kind of cooler attached anywhere around the radiator.

Now if your factory cooler in your ic is in the stock location (ontop of the rad.) then I don't think I coul see it, but I thought it would be on the front of the radiator?

Factory tranny cooler .....

view through grill
view from top
view from below with bumper removed

Attachments

• coolerthrugrill.jpg
    coolerthrugrill.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 234
  • topviewcooler.jpg
    topviewcooler.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 226
  • trannycooler.jpg
    trannycooler.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 228

Al what is that yellow wire there? Is that something with your transmission temp gauge?

Rhett said:
Al what is that yellow wire there? Is that something with your transmission temp gauge?

Yes, it is the signal wire from the tranny temp sender to the instrument ( the ground is through the bracket ). When the bumper in installed, this wire is not seen. It looks like crap in the pic and for that I apologies.

Betcha' can find my temp guage wire :D

Back to where I started....

I undestand what you have done, but my Ex didn't come with a tranny cooler from the factory. So I don't have all the hoses set up for a new one.

So what do I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Simple, just cut the ATF line from the radiator to the tranny and install your aux cooler.

Good luck ....

Back