Got my first buck!! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Got my first buck!!

TravisC

My bro, JoshC in Iraq
Reaction score
City, State
Hurricane, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
Well yesterday was opening day for bow season here in West Virginia and what a day it was.

Early in the morning, I'd say around 9 or so, I had a 6 pionter come close to my stand but I thought it was too far away to shoot so I passed it up while it walked away. I got in the radio and told him a buck was comnig his way. Well he shot it but couldn't find it. While we were looking for it my dad and my brother saw a big buck go up a hill side into a bunch of pines. After lunch I decided to climb a tree on the other side of the hollow of that hill. I was in my stand about 3 hours and not seeing anything, then I saw something in the brush about 150 yards away. So I put the binoculars on it and almost crapped my pants when I saw the rack, it was a huge 8 point. Of course I started to get buck fever. I watched it feed for about an hour or so then he started to make is way towards me. I stood up and told myself when he gets to this tree in front of me I'm going to shoot. Well sure enough he walked right to that tree. I pulled back shaking like a leaf and shot. I was pumped. He ran up the hill about 100 yards or so and laid down. He laid there for about 10-15 minutes or so still moving. I wasn't sure if I hit it good enough. Well the deer tried to get up and fell back down, twice. I was exicted but it was getting dark. We decided to let it lay over night and get it the next morning. We found it the next morning about 15 yards from where I saw it last. He fell down the hill into a little dried up creek bed. Anyways that's my story of the first buck I've ever killed. Not to shabby if I don't say so myself, especially with a bow.

Attachments

• deerpic.jpg
    deerpic.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 175

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GaSouthern1

Elite LS2 -
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 GTO
Congrats Abe Lincoln...I mean Travis.:D

Hopefully I will be able to go this season and get me something.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
congrats.:chug: the first deer i ever killed was a rather large and perfectly symetrical 8 point. i have killed nothing but small junk deer ever since. :D

Silverblade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SOHC
first and only buck I got was my first trip out when i was 14. hit it in the head with a 303 from 50 feet away. had a nice bruise on my arm from that one. my bro was walking towards me and my dad(in a huge area) and he scared it towards us and it ran to the side where none of them had a shot at it so i did:D

bates

Shine on Benevolent Sun
Reaction score
City, State
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4dr
Congradulations! That's a nice one. I hope I have similar luck if I am abble to go this year. Damn school!

VairKing

Midwest-Xplorer Member
Reaction score
City, State
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB V8 AWD
Very nice, good shot...One question tho, you said you left it sit overnight? We have always dressed em out as soon as they are dead, ive never heard of leaving them for a long period of time...

TravisC

My bro, JoshC in Iraq
Reaction score
City, State
Hurricane, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
Thanks guys

Originally posted by VairKing
Very nice, good shot...One question tho, you said you left it sit overnight? We have always dressed em out as soon as they are dead, ive never heard of leaving them for a long period of time...
Well it wasn't hit as good as I wanted it to be and it wasn't dead by dark. We didn't want to start tracking it and run it off. So we let it sit and die overnight, no need in rushing it and it was cold enough last night for it to be fine. It got down in the 30's so it was fine. We got up about 8 the next morning, found it and gutted it.