Got my $$$ from Ford for my Firestones!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got my $$$ from Ford for my Firestones!!

Well, the local dealer coughed up the $$$ for my Firestones. Didn't even blink an eye when he saw I had 31x10.5-15's in place of the 235/75-15's. $550 off a set of BFG T/A ko's ain't too bad!!

FYI for the rest of you who are thinking about going to larger tires for the recall. If you bought your tires AFTER May 23rd, the refund comes directly from the dealer, NOT from Ford corporate. The dealer just writes up a warranty repair order for the appropriate amount, and issues a check to you. The work order DOES NOT have to specify what tire went on the vehicle. It only specifies the amount of money to be refunded, the VIN on your vehicle, and the serial # off of each tire removed. So if your dealer is giving you flack about changing tire sizes, find another dealer. The dealer I went to originally refused to do it, but the second one was fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats Jeff! I replaced my Crapstones in Aug, even tho I had the 16" ones that were not recalled. Last week I got the check from Ford and they paid for every penny. Don't know if those tires are bad or not, but you have to love Ford for shelling out the billions of $$ just to keep us X owners happy.

You lucky duck...I have Winstons

I'm hoping to get my stones removed soon
I'm trying to convince my dad to let me get the 31x10.50/15s BFG All Terrains T/A KO

jeff

Hey Jeff -------------

(JDraper)

do you not think you could fit of 32X11.5/15 's on yours with some minor fender trimming?

Also in that e-mail you wrote me you said to go to the wheel place and have them check out the offset...Well I am going to buy them off the internet. Could a tire store help me out with this when i buy my tires? Can I go ahead and order the 15X8's or should I weight untill I get the tt/shackle lift with the trimming to see what size of tires I can fit?

Kinda confused on the offset....Is that an adjustable part on the car or do each wheels have different offsets?

Thanks a lot for all your help!
Grant

i just got my truck back from the dealership for some warranty work and i asked the guy and he said he has no idea what youre talking about jeff. so i guess i screwed into waiting 6 weeks. DAMN! i guess late money is better then no money.

Re: jeff

Originally posted by Fantasymon
do you not think you could fit of 32X11.5/15 's on yours with some minor fender trimming?

I think I could have gotten the 32's in without trimming, they just would have hit my swaybar on sharp turns.

Kinda confused on the offset....Is that an adjustable part on the car or do each wheels have different offsets?

The offset is specific to each wheel. It is not an adjustment you make to the vehicle. When you order your wheels, the supplier should be able to tell you what the proper offset is for your vehicle, but you might have to go with a little less than what the vehicle calls for so your tires don't rub. How much?? I don't know. I'm guessing that a 1/2" less of offset would have made my 31x10.5-15's not touch the swaybar at full lock, but I'm not sure how that would translate to your new rims and 32's. Someone else here might know. Post a new thread and see if someone can help.

Thanks, 1 more question

Jeff
Thanks! ...Last question for now...

Just found out that the rims I want come in either 15X8 or 15X10..
Which do you recommend for the 32X11.5 / 15? There isnt really too much of a price difference. DOn't really know if one will give me a less chance of rubbing over the other
Thanks a lot!!!!

Grant

recall

TBomb---

Jeff is right for the most part. ANYTIME you want you can go to ANY tire place of your choice and have them put new tires on for you. You will have to pay for it all then. The tire place will then have to cut out a special part of each of your tires with a certain number. Then take the receipt and the five pieces of the tire to your local ford dealership. They will either give you a check right then or they will send a refund request to Ford. The amount of money you get depends on the size of your wheels. 16's get $130 per tire (130 X 5 = 650)...15's get $110 per tire (110 X 5 = 550).
You can get ANY brand and ANY size that you want. You will just not be refunded anymore than the $650 or $550 depending on which size wheels you have. So if you have 16's and spend 800 on 5 tires you will end up paying $150.

Pretty sure I am correct on everything...
Grant

-------------------------------------
(Added later)

Just realized that JDraper was talking about tires purchased AFTER may 23. O'well maybe my info will still help you out or you may already know it...
Grant

Re: Thanks, 1 more question

Originally posted by Fantasymon
Just found out that the rims I want come in either 15X8 or 15X10..
Which do you recommend for the 32X11.5 / 15?
Recommended rim size for that tire is between 8 and 10" wide, so either would work. Your choice. Do a search on rim width here, and you will find a bunch of opinions on which rims to run.

Back