• Register Today It's free!

got my new Explorer today

mike605

Reaction score
City, State
Allen Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Well it took over a year but today I took delivery of a brand sparkling 2013 Explorer limited 4WD in white platinum with pecan interior. Overwhelming since I usually drive cheap cars and this is more like a car meets the Starship Enterprise. It actually told me while driving home that I needed a rest!! Some kind of driver fatigue issue.

The only depressing thing so far, other than my monthly payment, is that remote start does want to work. The key fob works in every other way but the car won't start remotely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations, Mike! Enjoy the drive as I do! Wish you could get rid of the remote issue soon. Some more experienced folk there may help you with it.

Well it took over a year but today I took delivery of a brand sparkling 2013 Explorer limited 4WD in white platinum with pecan interior. Overwhelming since I usually drive cheap cars and this is more like a car meets the Starship Enterprise. It actually told me while driving home that I needed a rest!! Some kind of driver fatigue issue.

The only depressing thing so far, other than my monthly payment, is that remote start does want to work. The key fob works in every other way but the car won't start remotely.

Make sure it's enabled under Vehicle Settings. (left screen of speedo)

Hope you enjoy your EX as much as I'm enjoying mine.

With the remote start make sure you hit lock (even if the car is already locked) and then the remote start twice. It took me awhile to get the timing right. I think in the beginning I was trying to rush to get them all done and not giving the computer time to register the clicks.

The talking lady in the dash is a lot of fun. She never complains when I tell her to do the smallest thing. Love it!

Remote starting the vehicle with the fob requires 3 key presses.... You must press the following.... Lock, start, start. I had the same issues until I read the manual :)

remote start issue

foilingfool2, thanks that was it. The sales rep didn't mention that issue.

Mike

Welcome to the Explorer club, mike605! I'm sure you'll have a blast. It looks like your friends here on the forum have done a great job of answering your remote start questions, but if you need anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact me!

Hope you enjoy your EX as much as I'm enjoying mine.

With the remote start make sure you hit lock (even if the car is already locked) and then the remote start twice. It took me awhile to get the timing right. I think in the beginning I was trying to rush to get them all done and not giving the computer time to register the clicks.

The talking lady in the dash is a lot of fun. She never complains when I tell her to do the smallest thing. Love it!

Make sure it's enabled under Vehicle Settings. (left screen of speedo)

Remote starting the vehicle with the fob requires 3 key presses.... You must press the following.... Lock, start, start. I had the same issues until I read the manual :)

It's also printed on the back of the fob itself. :)

Thanks for all of the great info, gang!

Crystal

Well I did some driving today and had a blast. Use the cruise control and that radar controlled feature is great. It slowed down for cars and then sped up when that got out of my way, nice of them. I did noticed a bothersome feature of the entertainment option. I use a flashdrive for my MP3s. Sometimes it restarted where I left off and other times when it started playing the first MP3 on the flashdrive. I need to get one of those rubber mats for the rear cargo area. I do field service and pickup/deliver bar code printers. They are metal and heavy. That felt cover, or whatever it is, won't survive long under a metal printer that weighs up to 65 pounds.

I have noticed that I am driving slower. The car is wider and heavier than my old Nitro, BTW a great car that ran for 126K with only tires and brakes needing work.

Things I wish they would do:
-I noticed that the compass on the right hand display sometimes gives you the speed limit on the road you are on. How about changing the color of the speedometer needle when you exceed the speed limit? It could change from green/blue color to red when you exceed the limit.

-I wish the storage pockets on the door were higher. I keep my bible, yes I have my grandfathers bible, with me in the car. But the storage pockets are not tall enough to store the bible there. I have to use the center console and eventually stack things on top of it. I will investigate the glove box but prefer something more accessiable from the drivers seat.

-I also wish the center console was designed differently. I would like a simple tray on the top, my Nitro had one, for small items. I keep my phone in that forward storage spot beneath display.

-I still wish the car fully supported the iPhone. It is the most used mobile in the world and it doesn't support text feature? Someone mentioned an upgrade to 3.5.1, if memory serves. I have a brand new 2013 so I assume I have the latest and greatest code in the Sync system. Maybe not, if some kind soul could enlighten me a little.

-a bit sad now, it rained in Dallas today and I got the inside a bit dirty.

Well enough for now. I am very pleased with the car. Love the features and the Sync system is geeky enough to keep me interested.

Mike

Mike dont assume your 2013 has the latest......I have a 2013 and it came with an older version.

Easy to check on www.syncmyride.com or in the settings on the MFT screen.

Pop out your Navigation SD card from media hub and if its the latest it will be "A4"

Well I did some driving today and had a blast. Use the cruise control and that radar controlled feature is great. It slowed down for cars and then sped up when that got out of my way, nice of them. I did noticed a bothersome feature of the entertainment option. I use a flashdrive for my MP3s. Sometimes it restarted where I left off and other times when it started playing the first MP3 on the flashdrive. I need to get one of those rubber mats for the rear cargo area. I do field service and pickup/deliver bar code printers. They are metal and heavy. That felt cover, or whatever it is, won't survive long under a metal printer that weighs up to 65 pounds.

Things I wish they would do:
-I noticed that the compass on the right hand display sometimes gives you the speed limit on the road you are on. How about changing the color of the speedometer needle when you exceed the speed limit? It could change from green/blue color to red when you exceed the limit.

-I wish the storage pockets on the door were higher. I keep my bible, yes I have my grandfathers bible, with me in the car. But the storage pockets are not tall enough to store the bible there. I have to use the center console and eventually stack things on top of it. I will investigate the glove box but prefer something more accessiable from the drivers seat.

-I also wish the center console was designed differently. I would like a simple tray on the top, my Nitro had one, for small items. I keep my phone in that forward storage spot beneath display.

-I still wish the car fully supported the iPhone. It is the most used mobile in the world and it doesn't support text feature? Someone mentioned an upgrade to 3.5.1, if memory serves. I have a brand new 2013 so I assume I have the latest and greatest code in the Sync system. Maybe not, if some kind soul could enlighten me a little.

-a bit sad now, it rained in Dallas today and I got the inside a bit dirty.

Well enough for now. I am very pleased with the car. Love the features and the Sync system is geeky enough to keep me interested.

Mike
Hi Mike and Happy New Year!
Not a bad idea re the speedo changing colour if you exceed the posted speed limit. The problem with that is that the speed indicator/icon does not show for many roads here. Mainly just for major highways. Also, from reading posts on this Forum, many drivers would have speedometer continually showing a red colour.;)
As for a rear cargo mat, the Ford OEM I believe is as good as either the Husky, which I have, or the WeatherTech. Unfortunately that does not apply to Ford's OEM floor or all weather floor mats.
Happy motoring.

Peter

foilingfool2, thanks that was it. The sales rep didn't mention that issue.

Mike

That's something Ford should take note of and include in their dealer training.

When I was shopping for an Explorer, several reps had no idea why it sometimes would work and not. They told me the "car was confused by the amount of attempts"...right.
I had to figure it out by myself and teach them.

-I still wish the car fully supported the iPhone. It is the most used mobile in the world and it doesn't support text feature? Someone mentioned an upgrade to 3.5.1, if memory serves. I have a brand new 2013 so I assume I have the latest and greatest code in the Sync system. Maybe not, if some kind soul could enlighten me a little....

Mike

Hi, Mike!

I'm glad you're liking your new ride! That's always a great thing to see :)

Our testing shows Apple implemented a non-standardized implementation of Bluetooth MAP on iOS6. As a result, iPhones will not fully work with the text messaging feature. We'll continue to work with Apple to ensure future compatibility.

Rebecca

Back