got my truck stuck bigtime NEED HELP!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got my truck stuck bigtime NEED HELP!!!!

Rated tow hook's attached to the chassis are the best for vehicle recovery. Run the come a long/winch cable from one tow point to a tree saver or if really stuck from one tow point to snatch block/pulley (shackled to tree saver) back to second tow point. you get twice the pull but half the distance(comealong) speed (electric wimch)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lounge lizard, shout right back at ya :). And I'm with "a wise guy", irresponsible four-wheeling is about the worst damage to four-wheelers, worse then earth huggers, worse than high gas prices, etc.
For example, there was a trail in our area that had a little mud bogging area. It was causing erosion so the forest service put up signs saying not to go in there. The signs were driven over and people kept driving in there. They put up bigger signs in concrete posts, those were winched out... they put up a fence, the fence got torn down... eventually the trail just got gated shut, they got sick of having to pay their people to go out there to try to fix the damage being done by irresponsible wheelers. Not to mention all the trash, etc. that can be almost entirely attributed to the irresponsible four-wheelers, but the entire four-wheeling community takes the brunt for it (hence why I pick up trash whenever i"m wheeling, whether I brought it in or not)

i finally got it out alot of pulling and alot of jacking the front up out of the mud. The good thing is the truck still runs but the bad part is now i have a loud knocking noise coming from the eingine and the 4 wheel drive dont work. I think I blew a fuse. I had to pull off eth 4wd motor and manually change it to 2wd to get home. I also think that one of us revved the truck to hard and knocked a lifter or valve out of place. I changed the fluids today but no change in the knocking noise. I was in the dixie mountain area and really appreciate the thought of help BURGANDY1994xlt. AS for roadrunner777 yes you have to hook the comealong around a tree and to your frame or tow hooks or in my case my trailerhookup/tow package. here are some pics just a few the other pics are on my friends camera.

Attachments

• IMG_3454.jpg
    IMG_3454.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_3453.jpg
    IMG_3453.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 406

if anybody has any idea of the noises that have been happening or any similar experiences with the 4wd system please put in your advise. Also if I had to cut down some trees to get my truck out I would and I dont care if it is a 3000 year old sacred redwood, if it gets my truck out ill cut it down.

but dont get me wrong it would be a worse case scenario. The last thing I want over here in oregon is for a tree hugger 4x4 protest and I was in logger country so they might have thanked me. Too bad no one was working or else it might have been easier to get my truck out with help of a logging truck/tractor.

it almost looks like a designed hole to keep people out of that area. when we use to wheel back on my friends farm his uncle had hole dug in the field trails as to keep people out of the corn.
his tractor would roll right over them. but the trucks would have to roll through them.

we always found kids in trucks stuck back there

good to see you got it out with out damaging the trail.

and yes Matt! we pack out more than we take in it seems.

I hope that Ex never runs again. With an attitude like that you don't deserve one. Grow up.

I have ponds that size in my driveway right now, early warm weather, ground still frozen. I used to drive a Contour, but it got stuck a lot. It is nice to have an explorer for times like these.

I would have driven my explorer through, that. Don't feel bad.

It is thoughts like this that give ammunition to the groups that want to close public land to motorized recreation.

I meant no harm with that post. Dont get me wrong please. All im saying is a few small trees i better than a tow bill or further th age to a vehcle. lol im not saying go out and clear cut. Pull a few tree that over hang the trail. Im sure those ones wnt be missed.
lol might be outa line again but i dont gve a mud flying **** about tree hugersor the people that want to close rec/ parks. Ill makemy own rec/ prk in there front lawn. :p:

I meant no harm with that post. Dont get me wrong please. All im saying is a few small trees i better than a tow bill or further th age to a vehcle. lol im not saying go out and clear cut. Pull a few tree that over hang the trail. Im sure those ones wnt be missed.
lol might be outa line again but i dont gve a mud flying **** about tree hugersor the people that want to close rec/ parks. Ill makemy own rec/ prk in there front lawn. :p:

And people wonder why trail systems get closed. Positive attitudes go a long way. Pack out more then you pack in, tread lightly...

the ruts were a foot in a half deep and all 4 tires were spinning in 4wd, the pics didnt do much justice. I will post some more that are on a friends camera. By the way I absolutly hate how this post turned into a hippie debate about trees, no matter what you say there is always that guy out there that is gonna cut them down and do what he wants to do. We just need to worry about ourselves and be responsible. Yes we all make mistakes and nobody is perfect and I happen to learn the hard way. This is my way of learning, Getting stuck and getting out. And MOJOE wishing my ex never runs again and telling me to grow up maybe you should listen to yourself, you sound childish hoping bad stuff on other people. I am gonna be a round for a long time so get used to it, and why dont you just keep your opinions to yourself, I was looking for help not your stupid opinion, thhanks

I hope that Ex never runs again. With an attitude like that you don't deserve one. Grow up.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! DUDE!

relax! no one is condoning the use of anything here. or implying that trees should be sacrificed in the attempt to remove a truck from the trail.

At least I'm not. I would try everything in my power to remove the truck with out having to damage anything.

but you can't just blast some one for a comment on the boards.

some day it may be you that needs help. may not be in the woods, but you may find that some one you blasted will come back to save you

I just want to get back on track and if anyone has any ideas of the noises that my truck is making please let me know what you think. It sounds like a lifter knock or valve ticking, but it is really loud. Is there any way to narrow it down to which valves it could be other than by ear. Is there a 4wd fuse on 1993 XLT if so where is it located. I will be doing research to find the answers for myself but I appreciate any imput.

if you have a long screwdriver and I mean long like three foot long, I have them at work. when the truck is running put it against the pan under the truck and put the handle to your ear.

that will tell you for sure it is a top end knock. if it is really loud then it could be the bottom end. not good.

yea i thought about it being a exh manifold Im just not sure tomarrow I will really dig into it and start to narrow things down. please Keep throwing suggestions out there so I can check them out 2marro

lol might be outa line again but i dont gve a mud flying **** about tree hugersor the people that want to close rec/ parks. Ill makemy own rec/ prk in there front lawn :p:

Well if this is true then the best things to do is never damage any trees stuck or not! Do not cut them down period! Doing so only helps give all 4x4 a black eye and gives ammo to close down trails to every one but hikers.
now sorry for saying this but as a newbie to the 4x4 world the best thing you could do is join a club and learn from them the right way to do things and how to set your rig up.
Now from your pics I can see one thing in why you got stuck as you did and one reason I would not have even tried it, your tires. They look like street treads and not off-road treads at all and then to add to it you were in an area that called for even a more aggressive tread then an AT tread. So what you did was like taking a cruiser bike to a motocross race and entering it in the race.

Now for the sounds you’re hearing no telling but may want to pull the plugs and start with a compression test. Also take a stethoscope to it and listen to were the sounds coming from. If you pushed it hard like you indicated no telling how much damage you may have done to the motor.

You do realize the pictures are not from backfrcolorado, right? I think you might have misread a post somewhere along the way. The guy that got stuck, the pictures are from StryctNy9e.

then I need to say ops as I did miss read it so sorry about that StryctNy9e.

I have found that two of the biggest things that get new people into trouble off road are.
1) none offroad tires =street tires
2) over driveing the 4x4 thinking its 4x4 and can go over, threw, or do any thing, so hang on!
we all have been there at one time in some way and learned from it I hope. Thats why joining a club and learning from others is a good thing .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh Yikes..

Oh this is so sad.......

attachment.php

Trees? What the heck were they b#$%^ing about?

Were any Chipmunks harmed in the retrieval of this Ford?

Bob :D

Back