Got new Tires, Quoted new Ball Joints, Which Axle? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Got new Tires, Quoted new Ball Joints, Which Axle?

Longs

Reaction score
City, State
Cranberry Township, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
I just purchased 4 new BFG Long Trails for my '93 Limited with 93k on it. Tires were $100 each + tax, price includes lifetime rotation, balancing, leak repair, full road hazard replacement first year, 50% second year. I was going to get an alignment, but the shop said I had a bad lower left ball joint, and the other lower was getting questionable. I had heard about the lower left from another shop when I was having the Radius Arm rivets removed.

I was quoted $232 per side to change the upper and lower joints - joints were $55 and $85, labor $90 per side (1-1/2 hours at $60 per hour). Alignment afterwards, $49.99. I get a 10% discount on top of these prices as part of an employee program.

I'm not sure if I want to take on the job myself - based on the Autozone website, I can get the upper and lower ball joints for about $50-$60 per side. Also, Autozone prompted me to specify either Dana 35 axle, or Dana/Spicer 28 axle. How would I know which I have? Were both versions used in '93 or is this just a function of Autozone's parts search engine?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Longs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mrboyle

I Drive By Brail
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Bronco '80 Toy
The price you were quoted is very reasonable considering the amount of work involved. As for the axle, all Explorers after '91 had Dana 35's.

Longs

Reaction score
City, State
Cranberry Township, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Mike - thanks for the info. Based on what I've seen the price to replace the ball joints is reasonable, I just don't know if I want to lay out over $300 in parts markup and labor, versus doing the job myself.

David S.

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Altima AWD
I just had Big O Tires replace my upper and lower joints with Moog parts. With the alignment, the total came to just under $400. Did not want to mess with doing them myself.

Longs

Reaction score
City, State
Cranberry Township, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
That's better than the $460+ I'd be looking at with 4 ball joints and an alignment. I'm assuming that if anything else up front was bad, they'd have told me that it too needed a repair before the front end could be aligned. I recently changed the radius arm bushings myself, so I knew I'd eliminated that.