got phone and voice button working for sync in 06 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got phone and voice button working for sync in 06 explorer

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
if anyone has installed a navigation unit with the phone button on it has add the steering wheel control for the navigation w/phone and voice doesnt have it currently working I would be able to help if anyone wants to know how to do the setup

Added factory Nav to car with sync

Rusty813, I am very interested in what you did to make this work. i have been doing a lot of reading about this, trying to determine were to start. I have read this so far:
1. need to do some wire splicing to change the "voice" button on the steering wheel (redirect it to the sync unit, instead of thru the Nav)
2. Even when you re-wire the MIC and VOICE wires, you still don't gain the function of the phone "connect/disconnect" on the steering wheel.
2. Might need to send the NAV unit in for re-programming, so that the options I want can be made available.
3. to get voice activation on the NAV unit, i would need a different SYNC unit that was loaded with software to drive the navigation unit.

It seems as though what I am asking is doable. Just not sure where to start and I am hoping you can help with that. I just put the navigation unit into the car last week.

I have a 2008 Mercury Sable with SYNC (factory). Steering wheel has the SYNC system function buttons. I added a 2008 Ford factory navigation unit to the vehicle, everything seems to function properly except the voice recognition and steer wheel buttons. Although, I would like to change the menu button (+menu-) to control volume at some point in the future.
Any help would be appreciated.

the mercury sable and explorer wiring harness are different, I never worked on a sable before so it would be quite hard for me to explain it

Back