Got Power, but No Sound thru Existing Car Speakers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got Power, but No Sound thru Existing Car Speakers

jv-sd

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4WD V6
Hey all...

- I have a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT, with stock AM/FM, Cassette Stereo.
- I'm replacing the stereo with a Blaupunkt Syracuse model.
- Purchased and installed stereo with a Metra wiring harness 70-5600 - one harness for power, and a separate harness for the speakers.

Current Situation:
I'm getting power to the new HU ok, but no sound to the existing car speakers. I reinstalled the old stereo, and it produces sound normally, and as expected.

Troubleshooting tried so far:
1 - I double-checked my connections to the Blaupunkt speaker wiring harness to the Metra speaker wiring harness. Everything matches correctly.

2 - With the new stereo powered up, and the Metra speaker harness plugged in, I took two probe leads, and connected the stripped ends to an external speaker (not part of the vehicle), and correspondingly touched the positive and negative contacts of each speaker pair - front and rear. Each speaker produced sound as expected. So I know that I am getting sound from the new HU, through the Metra speaker harness; however not when I connect that harness to the exisiting harness in the Explorer. I get nothing.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hook up the remote wire (blue/white on large gray plug). not sure if your blaupunkt has both blue and blue/white. if only blue, use that. if it has both, use blue/white. that will turn on the factory amp

Thanks for the reply.

The blaupunkt only has a blue wire; so I'll connect that to the the blue/white wire on the Metra power harness.

One other question, there is a black/white (Amp Ground) wire on the Metra speaker harness. Where do I connect this wire, or do I need to?

Thanks again.

For good measure go ahead and connect that to the other black wire. It is either the amp ground or the shield ground for the signal cable.

Quick question?? Did you have an antenna connector back there and did the green plug fit with ease?? There may be another reason why your radio is not making any sound. Keep us posted.

big joe

Could also get the other harness that plugs into the stock amp & bypasses it. That is why your not getting sound.

what jason94sport said. i have a '94 sport, and in my aftermarket harness came a small plug to bypass the stock amp. once i did that, everything was working great :]

iirc, the stock amp is in the back panel on passenger side, near the rear hatch. i had to rip off the little glove box with the net, then reach towards the wheel well. it was a ***** to get the bypass on, but you can do it.

Thanks for the replies... I won't be able to try these suggestions until Friday. I'll keep you posted.

run new cables to the speakers its 1000 times better, or take apart the whole back and put a bypass adaptor on the factory amp, i ran new cables its was alot easier and sounds a lot better.

phuct said:
... i had to rip off the little glove box with the net, then reach towards the wheel well. it was a ***** to get the bypass on, but you can do it.
Although this is a little late for you maybe it will help someone else who reads this thread. You don't need to destroy the cargo cubby in the back to access the stock AMP. If you pry it off you'll break all the hold down clips that secure it in place. You need to remove the entire trim panel (which is only held in place by a few screws, some push pins, and a 5.5mm bolt (@ coat hanger). I would highly recommend you pick up the $4 push pin tool pictured below.. It allows you to quickly and easily remove the push pins without breaking them :thumbsup:

Here is the stock amp.
18205Right_side_primed-med.jpg

Push pin removal tool
18205Trim_removal_tool_WEB-med.jpg

Hi All....A couple questions/observations that's related:
I just got a new HU(Pioneer 50W x 4 Model: DEH-P3700MP)
for my '94 to replace the JBL premium that was in there. Same thing happened to me. I put the new unit in and didn't have the amp power wire connected. I bought the 2 JBL plugs that connect the factory harness's to the speakers(8 wire shielded) and to power/ground. But I did not buy the amp bypass. The radio guy told me if it was him, he would not bypass the amp. He said since I wasn't putting an amp in...the factory one would be better than nothing. But I've seen a lot of post's saying to bypass the amp...Just wondering if I should? And the reason why(i.e. clarity etc..?).

Second question is about the grey shielded speaker wire. The plug on mine got messed up a little when I pulled the old unit out(wires got stretched a little..so now it shorts when you wiggle it). Is there any reason why I shouldn't just cut it and direct wire the speaker wires from the radio to that shielded speaker wire?

Thanks,
jonny

*just so happens my rear wiper motor went out the same day I put the new radio in...my wife doens't believe me that it was just a coincidence. :D

you did put an amp in (the one in the head unit)

you need to bypass it for clarity

also, do not run new wires until you have more than 50 wrms per channel to your door speakers. the factory stuff is just fine. that means in either of these cases- stick with the stock wires.

DeRocha said:
Although this is a little late for you maybe it will help someone else who reads this thread. You don't need to destroy the cargo cubby in the back to access the stock AMP. If you pry it off you'll break all the hold down clips that secure it in place. You need to remove the entire trim panel (which is only held in place by a few screws, some push pins, and a 5.5mm bolt (coat hanger). I would highly recommend you pick up the $4 push pin tool pictured below.. It allows you to quickly and easily remove the push pins with breaking them :thumbsup:

god damn, wish i knew that before. my friend told me he knew what to do on my car, so i proceeded to rip it out. it still worked in the end, but good to know now.

no sound to the speakers!!!!

Trying to change stock (f57f-19b165-ag) radio to new pioneer.New one has power, but no sound to speakers.I got involved too late,my son and his friend cut all the wires I wired the speakers at the head end directly to the new radio.
I can get to the amp in the back through the hole behind the netted holder.
But only enough to reach the the connector that has the 8 speaker wires.
I am trying to fix it without the adapter plugs(my son didn't know they existed)
what a mess,can I run 8 wires from the radio to the plug at the old amp,and splice them together????.eliminating the amp??
any help is greatly appreciated.your site is awsome.I would gladly donate my working original radio to whom ever could use it.
and pay the postage

bypass the stock amp

I bypassed the amp,old school splices.
I have the color swaps if anyone is interested
works fine.......one plug......8wires at amp comes from radio head end
flat grey plug has four power wires that can be eliminated,and the remaining eight wires goto each speaker.

Back