Got some “new” wheels for the sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got some “new” wheels for the sport

JDFBear

Reaction score
City, State
Broken Arrow, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
scored this set of wheels for $50. i know they are typical explorer wheels but they look a heck of alot better than the chrome ones. i do want to paint the inserts dark gray

IMG_5035 (10).JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! I would like to stumble across something better than the "chrome clad" steelies on my '98 Mounty.

Those wheels look great

@JDFBear Clean! Where did you find them?

Those finds are fun, and usually good stories.

scored this set of wheels for $50. i know they are typical explorer wheels but they look a heck of alot better than the chrome ones. i do want to paint the inserts dark gray

View attachment 328594

@JDFBear Clean! Where did you find them?

Those finds are fun, and usually good stories.
on Facebook market place . he was asking 80 but said if i came and got them he would do 50 he has a 98 4 door hes turnign into a hunting wagon so he bought a set of black wheels and offroad tires and had these sitting his wife got mad and said get rid of them

Truck looks great with the "new" wheels!

I'd like to find a nice set of "lacy" wheels that were std on the '96-'98 Limiteds. Everything found around here is always showing corrosion and peeling of the clearcoat.

Glad you went with the tire white lettering exposed /on outside.... makes it "pop" as they say nowadays. When mine starting fading I took a foam flat packing insert (basically like a sponge) and sprayed some white on it and lightly dabbed lettering - worked great - new again!

Looks better! Nicely done.

View attachment 328594
hey there....
I have the same wheel / tyre combo on my XLT of this model Explorer.....I have painted the scallop insert patterns "satin black" which give them a really cool old school mag look.....also lowered the truck 2 inches and spaced the wheels out 1.5 inches....makes it look mean and low too...cheers Christen
1616919367023.png

Glad you went with the tire white lettering exposed /on outside.... makes it "pop" as they say nowadays. When mine starting fading I took a foam flat packing insert (basically like a sponge) and sprayed some white on it and lightly dabbed lettering - worked great - new again!
Looks clean!
I went with the lettering out as well, and someone got a similarly good deal for my old one's with new Michelin's when I went to 16's.

20200620_135413.jpg

View attachment 328594
I personally think the teardrops are the best looking 2nd gen wheels from Ford

Looks clean!
I went with the lettering out as well, and someone got a similarly good deal for my old one's with new Michelin's when I went to 16's.

View attachment 328761
Can you post a front pic and front angle pic of your new headlights....want to get a better look of that style with the chrome layered "gills" ...

Back