• Register Today It's free!

got some 4x4 problems need ideas

Ronan1

Reaction score
City, State
reno nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 eddie
hi all i have a 1992 ford explorer Eddie B. i have replaced the dash button and the module in the back passenger corner panel now i have a shift motor to install on it after that if it still don't work do i need to replace the transfer case or is there another thing i need to try/ :exp::(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be wiring or a fuse--- What is it doing or not doing? Will it just not go into 4x4-- or 4x4 low? Is it in Neutral when you are trying to shift? DO the lights come on? Does it try several times (click click click)

More info please.

Based off the limited information you've given us, it could be any number of things:

Transfer case.
Hubs.
Front differential.
Axle shafts.
U-joints.

What kind of troubleshooting have you done, or have you just thrown random parts at it?

What was the original problem? Not shifting into 4 High / Low? Making noise when it shifts? No 4WD at all?

The more information you give us, the more we can help you out and posibly save you some money.

I have not done much in that field i am not a mechanic it is not going in to gear i have no lights but i do get a clicking noise were it sounds like it goes in gear but right out of gear afterward it wont go into 4x4 or 4x4 low i have checked and or replaced all fuses replaced the button on the dash panel i just bought a shift motor to replace the old one and i also bought a used transfer case just in case. and yes i think i have more or less just thrown parts at it my current part list is installed parts:dash switch,fuses,relays not installed yet parts: shift motor transfer case

The clicking from the ESCM (Electric Shift Control Module) means that it's trying to rotate the shift motor on the transfer case. Typically, in this situation the shift motor hunts for 4H, but overshoots, then hunts back and overshoots the other way. After 7-10 seconds , the control module returns to the default, which is 2H. The lights next to the button and on the dash won't light up until the shift motor has engaged 4x4 or 4 Low.

This thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1102904) gives a detailed run down on how to rebuild the shift motor. Give it a read and pay special attention to the part where the bump stop is mentioned. That little plastic stop has a nasty habit of breaking into a bunch of little pieces and that causes the shift motor to become "lost" and causes it to hunt for 4 High. It's a cheap and simple fix to replace that little plastic bushing with a small piece of vacuum hose and 9 times out of 10 it fixes the hunting problem.

Try that and see if it works. If so, you can probably get a refund for the shift motor. If you'd rather just slap the motor on there, you can do that too and it'll likely fix the shifting problem.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

MY FOUR WHEEL DRIVE IS WORKING SWEET THANKS FOR THE HELP ALSO ANOTHER QUESTION IS A SUSPENSION LIFT BETTER THAN A BLOCK LIFT SINCE MY FRONT AXLE IS STILL STOCK????????????????????????:exp:

if you just want to put bigger tires on it for looks or more motor room then a body lift is good but it wont make your axle move anymore than it already does

MY FOUR WHEEL DRIVE IS WORKING SWEET THANKS FOR THE HELP ALSO ANOTHER QUESTION IS A SUSPENSION LIFT BETTER THAN A BLOCK LIFT SINCE MY FRONT AXLE IS STILL STOCK????????????????????????:exp:

Define "block lift". If you're thinking of a body lift then they're usually cheaper than a suspension lift, but there's a fair amount of work involved as well.

If you're thinking of lift blocks like you see on pickup trucks, then you can't use lift blocks on a stock first gen Explorer unless you're wanting to lower it. The rear leaf springs sit under the axle, so if you put a block between the spring and the spring perch, you'd be lowering the vehicle. If you converted to a SOA (Spring Over Axle) setup, then that alone would get you about 5" of lift, but you would be able to use lift blocks for additional lift. If you just want something simple, AAL (Add-A-Leaf) or extended shackles are usually fairly cheap and easy to put on and will give you 1" - 2" or more if you were to combine an AAL with shackles.

On the front, since it's a coil spring set up, you're somewhat limited on what you can do. You can buy coil spring spacers that will lift the front 1.5" - 2". Or you can buy 2" lift springs for a little more than the coil spacers cost. Finally, you could also buy an entire kit for 4" or 5.5" of lift that would include new coil springs and any other additional hardware you'd need like radius arm drop brackets, dropped pitman arm, extended brake lines, etc.

ever herd of electronic shift motor twisting the key on the transfer case before cause it just happened to me and also the shift motor shifted it self into 4x4 low with out me pushing the button it is messed up now i have to replace the transfer case

Back