• Register Today It's free!

Got the bad news... Help please

artgod33

Reaction score
City, State
Patriot Nation
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
So I took my 96 EB into the dealership to get it checked so I can figure out what it was and stop the guess work. The car wouldn't start so I had to tow it in. It didn't start for them either and they pushed it into the garage.

Anyway here are the codes they pulled.

P0171 (Bank 1 Lean)
P0174 (Bank 2 Lean)
P0401 (EGR Voltage Low DPFE Sensor)
P0141 Bank 1 Downstream
Bank 2 Cat Conv

And the Fuel pressure was at 10PSI at the Rail and should be 32-40PSI

I need a plan of attack. So please help with any suggestions.

The Service guy was like, let this one die, but I can see why when they gave me a rough estimate of $1500 to fix the cat problem (I had mentioned getting a $500 quote from a very reputable exhaust shop for a custom Cat back system)

o2 sensor.. easy enough and cheap to do FYI ($50)

What I REALLY need help on is that low fuel pressure.

I disconnected the battery to clear the computer and sure enough.. the car started so I drove it home.

I had someone replace the fuel pump for me back in August... and I had changed the fuel filter. I realize they could both be bad but I'd lie to try "Easier" fixes before having to replace the fuel pump again to see if that’s it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Say the filter was clogged again... would it make THAT big of a difference?

Thanks in advance.

ready... DISCUSS!

;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, a clogged filter or the pickup screen in the tank could make that much difference. Often on an older vehicle there will be sentiment in the tank that gets picked up, that requires dropping and flushing it, and blowing out the lines with compressed air. Doesn't seem like a '96 would be that bad yet though.

the lean backs are almost certainly the fuel pump filter or pick up screen issue
but just in case you might want to run injector cleaner threw the engine just in case or remove them and have them cleaned

do you know if they replaced the pick up screen when you had them replace the fuel pump. if they didn't and this is clogged there is a good chance that you might suck up something fun into your pump and ruin it...so you might want to not wait to address the fuel pump issue i'd rather replace the pickup screen then the pump(as fare as $$ goes) and if you get it apart and its fine just put it back together and get you money back...its a bit of work but at least you will know for sure the condition of everything

fuel filter is a cheap thing to replace and is a good idea seeing as you can buy a ####ed up filter

cat issue
depending on what cat is messed up and how its messed up...you might not haft to replace it....what i mean is.... you might be able to just unbolt the cat and stick some re-rod or other piece of pipe in there and break the ceramic plats in there to clear it out(this is assuming that its the rear cats and one of them is clogged) if its just rotted threw then you are screwed and haft to cough up the major $$ for them:(

EGR voltage low

the sensor itself might be bad try replacing it and see what happens.before you reconnect the new sensor make sure you shoot the **** out of the connecter with carb or brake cleanner and try to clean as many connections as possible with a pick or small screw driver to insure a good connection

bank 1 downstream

i don't know what that is nore how to address it frankly i've never heard of that code b4 sorry i can't give you a suggestion about this code you might want to check with cobraguy he'll know what that is he knows his ****

hope i helped and the info i gave you can help you decide what to attack first

kinda curious why someone hasnt mentioned the fuel pressure regulator. this could be why fuel pressure is so low at the rail. as far as the cats, i have 156K on my 97 and 140K on my 93 and never had any problems with the cats. they prbly assumed since the 02 codes popped up that it was caused by the converters. not necessarily.

all the problems, except for the fuel pressure, could be explained by the faulty DPFE. this will throw your egr circulation out of whack, which in turn can trigger your o2 sensors to throw a code. i am in no way an expert, but just offering my advice/opinions.

The emissions issues with the cats are a result of the low fuel pressure (too little fuel or too much air = lean condition). The root cause is the fuel pump issue, not the cats. Fix the fuel supply issue first, and see if the codes persist (I suspect they won't).

-Joe

yeah but would low fuel pressure also cause a DPFE code? the only way i think it might would be if the motor was running so lean that the computer read little egr circulation and tripped the code for the DPFE. well i guess i answered my own question.

oh, btw.. since he has the 5.0 he can just misplace the rear cats. mine have been missing for over a year.

not necessarily...it all depends on where you live and your emissions laws mine haft to be there for visual inspection or i will fail( i have a 99 mountaineer wiht the 5.0)

i passed with just the 2 primary ones. youre right though, all states are different.

i wish i could pass with just the primary one...im jealous! lol......oh and i like how u just changed your sig. from "neglected" to "reliable" haha

i passed with just the 2 primary ones. youre right though, all states are different.

i wish i could pass with just the primary one...im jealous! lol......oh and i like how u just changed your sig. from "neglected" to "reliable" haha

well it is a reliable truck.. we had a good snow last week, about 5 inches in a couple hours and it did great. plus i dont want people to see the word neglected and think its a pos.. i just havnt paid much attention to it lately. and i italicized it for extra emphasis.. haha.

ok, to get back on topic.. i kept the 2 primary cats and had the rear 2 cut off and pipe welded in place of each. took the cats to a recycler and got $80. haha.

Ok so a little back story onthe vehicle I got it from my brother with abuot 140k on it.

HE used to tow and drop our boat in the ocean alot with it so the exhuast probably needs to be replaced.

The affected cats are the front ones onthe down tube... though the ree bar thing would be nice.

Will probably forgoe the rear cats as the AWD 96 does not need to be emissions checked and there are quite a few inspection stations that will make sure my horn works and gie me a sticker.

Fuel pressure regulator. Is it really as easy as it looks to change? Figure a $24 part is worth it. Will try changing the fuel filter as well.

Don't know about the screen. I hired someone I foudn on Craigs List to change the fuel pump for me. Have tlaked to him about swapping it out but I'd like to try to avoid that not only does it suck (no garage so outside work sucks in New England in November) plus it's $250 labor that can go to a million other better places.

Hey guys thanks a lot for your help.

I lvoe all the ideas and suggestions.

this truck (though it may not sound like it) is really close to being a great great daily driver.

:)

Agreed with Four0Sport.

I had similar issues when my buddy bought his 5.0L, and it was the FPR...

I can't believe the dealership advice was to "let this one die"
What a crock.

I read an article in Counterman magazine.. a mag for the auto service industry and it had a really nice article on what the american auto repair industry is turning into. it said that any person with free time and a bag of tools can get hired at any garage and be called a mechanic. and thats what the problem here is, that guy was not 'service tech', he was some guy the dealership hired bc he didnt want alot of money. and IMO thats really really sad. its also another reason why dealerships and other garages are losing so much business.. it is easier to get on a site like this and get good opinions and advice on problems from people who have dealt with them b4, most mechanics at shops went looking for a job after they changed their oil for themselves for the first time. i deal with it every day.. i dont call them mechanics, i call them guessers, bc thats how they fix problems, they guess.. put on parts they dont need.. until they fix the problem, and the owner of the vehicle pays for it.

So I bought a new Fuel Pressure regulator... looked in my Haynes manual it said "fuel pressure regulator is easily located..."

Didn't have much time (got last minute B.C. tickets for Saturday) popped the hood and figured I can do the regulator real quick and...

If thats "Easy" to get too then I want to know what they think is diffficult.

There is a wiring harness that goes over the top of it and there is not much room to work in between the block and the firewall.

How easy is the part itself to remove and replace? I thought it was a few quick hoses to be switched over but somethign tells me hooking the new sensor up to the bottom hoses will be very difficult!

Oh... and my truck had a 1/6 of gas in it... wasn't starting I added 6 gallons and it started up after that... any ideas on why that would be?

weak pump, sediment in the pump, etc.. you really shouldnt continuously run your truck below a quarter tank, it puts strain on your pump and sucks up all the gunk and dirt out of the bottom of the tank clogging the screen, pump, fuel filter, fpr, injectors, intake, exhaust, some guy that has asthma, a new born baby, trees in the amazon, etc..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well it is a reliable truck.. we had a good snow last week, about 5 inches in a couple hours and it did great. plus i dont want people to see the word neglected and think its a pos.. i just havnt paid much attention to it lately. and i italicized it for extra emphasis.. haha.

ok, to get back on topic.. i kept the 2 primary cats and had the rear 2 cut off and pipe welded in place of each. took the cats to a recycler and got $80. haha.

you welded a pipe in place?? because no exhaust shop will touch your truck here in VA if you dont have all the factory cats in place-so ive heard :rolleyes: = i need to learn how to weld ;):D

Back