Got the chance to sit in the 2002 Explorer; I don't like it. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got the chance to sit in the 2002 Explorer; I don't like it.

Jeff

Reaction score
I went to the No Boundaries experience in Irvine, CA yesterday and among the goodies, including several concept SUVs, was the 2002 Explorer. I spent quite a while looking at and sitting in it and I have to give the styling a big fat thumbs down.

In my opinion, the SUV looks more luxury like than it does SUV. It reminded me of the Cadillac - very boxy. I don't care for the location of the numeric keypad which is located on the door post unlike the present location on the door.

The interior is very squarish and it doesn't have the flowing lines. It seems to be very similar to the boxy look that you'd find in an Accord or Acura. If that's the look they wanted, they certainly got it.

What can I say about the third row seat. What would you put back there? Prisoners? It seemed to be almost Durango like in that there really isn't a useful purpose other than giving you something to lay down before you can use the trunk. The trunk is small and really won't hold more than groceries without putting the seat down.

The lower door openings are different. It brought back memories of climbing into to a Windstar that I rented a couple of years ago. Overall, the new Explorer is trying to be all things to all people but because it excels at nothing, I think it fails at most everything.

There are some things that I liked. The engine and tranny are better than the current offerings. The increased torque is also welcomed. The rear hatch is mostly glass which is good for someone who has a problem lifting things over the existing high opening. The in-dash 6 CD changer is much nicer than the current cartridge model which I can't stand. I don't know what happens if the in-dash changer malfunctions.

Final verdict - I don't think I'd buy one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that it is a huge improvement over the previous explorers. In fact i dont think that you can even compare them. As for looks, I think that it is very sharp looking and I believe that it will turn heads. I dont think that it is boxy at all. I would have to say that the 91-94 explorers are boxy. Whats wrong with a little luxury?? You have to remember that they in competition with other suv's, and I believe that this new explorer is a step in the right direction.

Final verdict: I would absolutely buy one

JoeC5,

You're right. It is boxy like the 91-94 but in a downsized way. Luxury is fine but I don't think it will sell very well to the owner who wants to set up is vehicle for some serious off roading. Have you ever seen a Mercedes, Lexus or any other high end SUV that Ford is trying to compete with that has the big tires, PIAAs, lift kit or any of the other things that make owning an Explorer fun? I haven't and I doubt that I will. Making those mods to the '02 Explorer just doesn't seem to fit the new design.

If someone wants a very streetable SUV then the new Explorer will probably be OK. Funny thing, I asked one of the hosts about the funky design and he said something reminiscent of what Ford said about the Daffy Duck Tauras, "You'll get used to it." That Tauras style didn't sell as well as the old one and I guess people really didn't get used to it because they changed the design completely.

My point is that Ford is trying to update the Explorer, which they should do to keep it current, with an appeal to those people who want a more luxurious SUV but at the same time, I think Ford also made a deliberate decision to move away from the off-roading aspect of Explorer ownership to attract more mainstream owners.

All in all i like the new explorer, my only problem with it is that having an independent front and rear suspension is going to make it a very difficult truck to try and lift.

This is just my opinion but Ford is going to have to make another model kinda like J**P did, have the "Grand Explorer" and a regular Explorer with solid axles, and without all the expensive extras, so us average incomed people can buy one... I like the new explorer but I wouldn't ever get it to go off-road, it would take too much to make it capable to go over much more than that parking lot speed bumb or curb.

Just make sure the aftermarket parts catch up to the new design quickly. I will not want it to look stock for long. I have a '96 now that I have done some things to and love the thing. The '02 looks cool, but I want a front brush guard and a lift just like my '96. I am thinking about even holding off a year until the '03. I'm sure some bugs will have to be worked out the first year they deploy.

Jon

i, for one, can't wait to replace the '97 for an '02. that is the little woman's vehicle. i will probably wait till the second year edition comes out. i will keep the '95 for as long as it will hold out and keep modifying it till it dies, then fix it and keep on going!

Don't even get me started on the IFS/IRS. I can go on for hours.
Its funny rustytr mentioned JEEP, anyone seen the new 2002 Cherokee? Can't call that an off-road vehicle can you? Independent suspentions at both ends, and not much ground clearance, looks like everyone is getting in on the lets ruin the off roaders fun game!
Anyway back to the new explorer, I haven't seen it, but from the stuff I've heard Ford would have been better off building a Large STATION WAGON! with all wheel drive. Leave our trucks alone! After all we buy them to go off road don't we? There I've said me piece.

All I can put as a plus it the new optional V-8....It's about time....They should started that back in 91!
Pete

Back