Got the codes scanned on '95 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got the codes scanned on '95 Explorer

bigwillie77

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer XLT
Okay guys I finally got the codes on my '95 Explorer scanned, by Autozone.
pulled codes 176, Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control
code 33 EGR did not open/ respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittently. Any suggestions on these codes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the o2 sensor not switching usually indicates a bad o2. It would be great to be able to get a scope on that o2. It's a bad situation - you have a 02 code and a EGR code...one could be effecting the other. I would look into the EGR system - see if the valve is clogged/stuck

-Drew

I think I'll probabley clean the MAF with elec cleaner, and probabley get the EGR/throttle body clean with some carb cleaner, and check and see if the valve is stuck. maybe run some seafoam through the intake also, then if it's still tripping codes I'll look into replacing the oxygen sensors. If anyone has any other suggestions, please comment.

1) Your '95 should be outputting 3 digit codes, so I would expect that the 33 is really a 33x code. Still EGR related.
2) You should also note which type of code each is (KOEO, CM, KOER). 176 should be a CM code, but I can't guess what the 33x was. SOP is to resolve KOEO codes first, then work on KOER codes, then work on any remaining CM codes. As ExplorerDMB noted, codes can sometimes be interelated, so this can be important when diagnosing multiple codes. I also like it when people post which tests cam back pass (111). Note that CM codes are output after the separator pulse during the KOEO test.

Review my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" at the top of this forum. I've tried to put information in there to help get as much out of pulling codes as possible. IMO, if you really want to diagnose this yourself, you'll be better off learning how to do it yourself. If you feel you must go to Autozone, try to get them to tell you all of the information that comes out of the self-tests.

MrShorty said:
Review my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" at the top of this forum.

It's stickied so it should be easy to find :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

These codes were taken with KOEO. I'm planning on getting a good code reader just to make it easier to do. I think the Autozone near me has a digital EEC-IV code reader for like $30

Back