Got the flowmaster, 2 cats removed (?). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got the flowmaster, 2 cats removed (?).

Jake's Dad

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT, AWD 5.0 302
Hey All - I'm pumped. I just got a Series 40 Flowmaster installed and I'm lovin' it!! I guess this one is street legal and not too loud for the kids inside. What do you all think of this choice??
Also, he took out two of the four Cats. I asked to have them all taken out, but I guess the two closer to the engine need to stay on to avoid a engine light being on?? Does anyone know what this is all about? Anyway, I hope the guy did what he said and at least took out the two he mentioned.

Will this improve MPG???

Regardless, it's breathing easier these days - just in time for me to roll over into 100K!

THANKS GANG!

JD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to keep 2 because
1) it's the law!!!
2) it's our air!!!
3) and yes, it would throw a CEL.

Um...yeah...I know that. Thanks for the reality check Alex!! Well, is there 4 originally???

JD

How loud is that with the cats removed? My Flow 50 will be here tomorrow or Wed., though I'm not having my cats removed, I am curious how loud it would be.

Originally posted by Jake's Dad
Um...yeah...I know that. Thanks for the reality check Alex!! Well, is there 4 originally???

JD

Not to be nitpicky, but his name is Alec, not Alex

yes, 4 originally, dual sets of 2, dual into the muffler.

Please do not remove your cats, not only because of a $10,000 fine, but my buddy took the cat(s) off his 97" f-150 and now it sounds like an old beat to hell plumer's van. not pleaseing to the ear at all.

Originally posted by EBInterceptor
How loud is that with the cats removed? My Flow 50 will be here tomorrow or Wed., though I'm not having my cats removed, I am curious how loud it would be.

Its insanely loud without the cats. I had nothing but the Y pipe for a couple days. Way too loud. One of my friends was riding around with me, some girl called him and he told her we were on a boat. She believed him.

Oh and it did throw a CEL, 335 DPFE is/was out of range.

I was actually wondering about having no cats but still running a muffler. I'd like to hear what it sounds like sometime on an X without having to cut mine off. I've heard some pretty loud exhausts, I don't think I'd want to drive around like that all the time. No Sir.

First of all - Sorry Alec! I'll get the name right. To all, I still have a cat on my truck. There was 4 of them, but now I have two. The two that are connected to the sensors are the ones remaining. Yes, the ones remaining are the ones that actually make the air clean and all of that - so don't remove those.

The truck sounds reallllllly good with the Series 40. I didn't get the larger pipe from reccomendation from the installer. He mentioned that he thought it might not run right or something if I did that. I don't know if this is true.

Flowmaster is good stuff, y'all!!!

I even got a nice chrome tip welded on!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JD

Originally posted by Jake's Dad
I didn't get the larger pipe from reccomendation from the installer. He mentioned that he thought it might not run right or something if I did that. I don't know if this is true.
Most members upgrade from 2.25" pipes to 2.5" but you should be fine with 2.25". Explorers do not benefit from larger pipes bigger than 2.5".

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
Most members upgrade from 2.25" pipes to 2.5" but you should be fine with 2.25". Explorers do not benefit from larger pipes bigger than 2.5".

Unless you have forced induction and a 3" setup like me :D Though the second half of the tailpipe was still 2.5" to account for gas cooling.

but aside from noise, much of a HP boost?
10%?

Sunbum:

Let me put it this way, the truck feels a little quicker than it did before. I didn't have a dyno check or anything like that - so I don't have hard data. I can tell you that it is awesome!!!!

Yeeee Haaaaaaa!!!

JD:D

Anybody try an o2 simulator on the two sensors closest to the engine??

I have the two sensors on the muffler that is closest to the engine, but the ones farther down are gone.

I still passed the EPA standard.

Comments anyone?

JD

Wa huh?

You have 4 sensors: 1 on each track before the twin cats, and 1 on each track after. The separate tracks then go into a single muffler then the tailpipe. Your truck wouldn't be running without all 4 O2s.

A muffler is not a cat, and a cat is not a muffler.

Yes I understand all of that and no I'm not confusing a cat with a muffler (**sheesh). Relax!
I'm just asking if anyone has tried an O2 Simulator on the first two sensors closest to the front of the vehicle.

Cheers!

JD

i had a blazer with a 4.3 and o2 simulators and it performed awesome no problems at all with the engine until i totaled it (not at fault)

I haven't heard anything negative regarding these o2 simulators!

JD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) There's no reason to use them unless you're deleting your cats, and you know how most of us feel about that.

2) They don't serve a purpose on the sensors close to the engine regardless.

3) Since they send a constant signal to the computer, not a variable one, the computer loses some control over the motor. This can lead to being rich or lean, could damage the motor and exhaust over time, and could decrease performance.

Back