Gots me a V8

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
After 1st gens & 2nd gens, I found a killer deal on a 04 EB V8. Only 70K miles, & they gave me a decent trade on my 02 sport. Everything works & the paint & interior are in great condition. Only thing not working is the CD player. CD error---getting replaced anyway. It's cool it's got the dual 2nd row seats with the console. Never saw that before.
Like I said it's in fine shape I shouldn't need to do anything to it. No leaks, cruise & AC work great, I checked the wire harness by the oil pan, it's not rubbing. Was dealer serviced. The trans seems to be ok. It hauls when I stomp on it.
gV7RaFs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks brand new, like it has lived in a garage.

After 1st gens & 2nd gens, I found a killer deal on a 04 EB V8. Only 70K miles, & they gave me a decent trade on my 02 sport. Everything works & the paint & interior are in great condition. Only thing not working is the CD player. CD error---getting replaced anyway. It's cool it's got the dual 2nd row seats with the console. Never saw that before.
Like I said it's in fine shape I shouldn't need to do anything to it. No leaks, cruise & AC work great, I checked the wire harness by the oil pan, it's not rubbing. Was dealer serviced. The trans seems to be ok. It hauls when I stomp on it.
View attachment 438131
Not a huge fan of the full independent suspension of the 3rd gen on, but it looks great bo! Any modifications planned for it? Like small lift or anything?

Looks like you scored a good one. The first thing to do is drop the transmission pan, drain, replace the filter and refill. If you do this every 60k miles the transmission should last you for a very long time. The 5R55 transmission doesn't tolerate poor maintenance well. The 4.6L 2V V8 is darn near bullet proof with good maintenance done to it.

New radio a few small interior things, I have a flowmaster 50 on route. Got an open box special. I was told the trans was serviced at 60K. Note sure on that.

New radio a few small interior things, I have a flowmaster 50 on route. Got an open box special. I was told the trans was serviced at 60K. Note sure on that.
I had a 5R55 die at 116k miles in my old 2003 Mountaineer. You might want to service the transmission if you can't confirm it was done previously.

Machine flush or drop pan & filter change only?

Machine flush or drop pan & filter change only?
I would typically do a pan drop. However, in your case with the vehicle having only 70k miles on it a flush would probably be OK. I would make sure that the place doing the flush use Motorcraft fluid. Flushing a high mileage vehicles is not recommend because it can dislodge debris and clog fluid passages. The good thing about a flush is that it replaces more fluid than a pan drop. Then at 130k, and thereafter, just do a pan drop, filter replacement and refill. Another option, which is what I would do, is a pan drop, filter replacement, clean the magnet and refill. Then after 5k miles drain the fluid and refill with no pan drop. This will get you to about a 70-75 percent fluid swap. Then just do a pan drop, filter and refill every 60k miles. The good thing is you got the vehicle with low miles and likely before old, worn fluid has damaged the transmission.

imo id do 2 pan drops over a flusy but jmo since less forcing of fluid through passages

After looking at the process on YT, I got a pan gasket & motorcraft filter. I'll do the 2 pan drops. I already have a hand pump for the refill process.

thanks

After looking at the process on YT, I got a pan gasket & motorcraft filter. I'll do the 2 pan drops. I already have a hand pump for the refill process.

thanks
The 5R55 at least has a drain plug to make the pan a lot less heavy when it is dropped. The pan on the 6R60/80 transmissions have no plug at all.

Get a K&N CAI for it. Get all your foot smashing pedalness out of the way. Then work on maintaining your gas mileage.

Enjoy, it looks great. All I'd immediately do is a tranny service, coolant flush and oil change.

Everything else can wait for its turn in regular life.

Looks like you scored a good one. The first thing to do is drop the transmission pan, drain, replace the filter and refill. If you do this every 60k miles the transmission should last you for a very long time. The 5R55 transmission doesn't tolerate poor maintenance well. The 4.6L 2V V8 is darn near bullet proof with good maintenance done to it.
I agree with this 100%. Just bought a 03’ EB with the 5r55 and it was shifting weird. Took the pan down, new filter and fluid and it literally shifts like butter. Such a huge improvement for like $125.

That is nice, it looks just my 2005 EB! Rancho Quick Lift x 4, camber kits, 31" tire, SCT X4 tuned 💪

I was fascinated to see Explorer's came with the 4.6 2v engines scrolling thru CL ad's just 2-days ago. Wow man....looks great. I love my 2001 F150 has a 5.4 2v seems dependable. They all have their issues, butt we know where to find help and what to look for here in the forums. The 2v's seem to be a bit less troublesome with good maintenance.

I was fascinated to see Explorer's came with the 4.6 2v engines scrolling thru CL ad's just 2-days ago. Wow man....looks great. I love my 2001 F150 has a 5.4 2v seems dependable. They all have their issues, butt we know where to find help and what to look for here in the forums. The 2v's seem to be a bit less troublesome with good maintenance.
these 2vs are indestructible! :D the 3vs are the phaser issue ones

Back