• Register Today It's free!

Gotta love 10 Yrs worth of rust

wmdpalmer

Reaction score
City, State
Eglin FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exploder XLT
Dropped my fuel tank tonight to replace the fuel pump. Gotta love rust from the salt up north. Everything came off (whether it wanted to or not)but the ring that hold the pump int the tank looks to be shot. I mean this as it is a rusty hulk keeping the pump in the tank. Hard to tell how to take the ring off and if they krimped tabs over the ring to keep it from spinning. Anyone know about this? thanks,

Will :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is just the retaining ring that you are worried about, pry it off with a screwdriver and put on a new one. But if the tabs on the tank are damaged, you may want to consider sending the tank to a rad shop...

Before you pry it off you may want to make sure that the ring doesn't turn counter clockwise to remove it. Basically those tabs you see you tap on those to spin the locking ring.

Got everything off and replaced and now she is up and running. I ended up prying off the ring and was able to buy a new one. Runs like a champ now.

Will

first gen gas tanks

My '92 EB just started to leak gas :fire: down the left side of the tank while running. I'm going to drop the tank in a few days to make the repair and wondered what you found. I'm guessing mine will have some rust on the top of it too, but wondering where I'll find the leak. Mine has 190k on it, so something probably got eaten by northern salt. Thanks

Most likely your leak is due to a rusted out line coming from the fuel pump sending unit... The vehicles's fuel lines are stainless steel and attach to Zinc plated steel lines on the fuel pump sending unit. I would get a fuel pump and sending unit together as opposed to getting just the sending unit and re-using your 13 yr old pump.

rust, gas tank, yuck

I hate rust too. Just trying to get my EX to and-or- past 200k. Turned a few odometers past 100, but this is a real challenge. Actually this is the first real problem with my truck (orig motor and trans).
Thanks for the info. I'll look for that when I drop the tank. Told my wife I better do it on a day that the dealer's open All day, as I'll probably need to visit their parts dept for something or another. Thanks again

Back