• Register Today It's free!

Gotta love a free car!

vervepipes

Reaction score
City, State
Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I have so much work to do to my Ex that a friend gave me his car instead of sending it to the salvage yard to make due since I can only work on it a few hours per night. I love this car so much I need to get a newer one or better shape one! it's an '86 LTD Crown Vic with 5.7L. It's got so much balls that I dont even have to touch the gas pedal, it will idle to 60 KPH. only down side is the body's rotten, mostly the doors and fenders but also under the vinyl roof. Who knows, maybe I'll find a creative use for the driveline...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so an 86 5.7, would that be a 351W or 351C?

so an 86 5.7, would that be a 351W or 351C?

351w. they can be lethal little motors. had one in my 81 merc capri, n i killed almost anything i raced:burnout: :dead:

Ok, so its running rich and the idle is high, I cant find an idle adjustment or mixture screw. Is it sealed or am I just not looking hard enough? I'd like to save a bit on fuel lol

Ok, so its running rich and the idle is high, I cant find an idle adjustment or mixture screw. Is it sealed or am I just not looking hard enough? I'd like to save a bit on fuel lol

it think the 86's have a throttle body injection on them, but i'm not sure. more into mustangs, or capri's. i just normally see LTD's in my rear view mirror.... with them pretty red and blue lights flashing... and the guys with guns, billy cubs and attitudes driving them.

No, '86 had the "Variable Venturi" carb, I believe it was 2BBl. I cant find much on this carb online.

Does it look like this early 80's Olds Delta 88? I had one. Great road car. Fit like seven people in it comfortably :thumbsup:

DELTA.JPG

LTDSmall.jpg

LTD1Small.jpg

this is the car. I think I found a good Motorcraft 7200 carb exploded view that will help me get the mixture more lean, but there are some missing vacuum hoses so that may accoubnt for the high idle, I'll need to find a vacuum diagram. the rust is mostly confined to the front fenders, doors and trunk lid, so it may be worth my effor to get rust free ones, get rid of the surface ruse, take a vinyl top from a junker and get a 400$ maaco paint job if I can tune it to get more than 100Km per tank

drooollll...... yea THATS what a car should be like. Tank with wheels

I was talking with my mechainc once and he was telling me about those variable venturi carbs. They were a novel idea but were finnickey as hell and were almost impossible to repair. If i remember he had one with a bad electronic control module and they only used the module for one year. No replacement was to be had anywhere. He ended up bypassing it somehow and made it run ok. (guy is a really good mechainc)

In your case try fixing the vac hoses and make sure they are all in the right place. Hope that it fixes it b/c you dont want to have to monkey with that carb. I replaced all the vac hoses on my dad's '78 Pontiac GranPrix and not only were they crumbling, but some of them were hooked up wrong. Car ran much better after that. Just make sure you get a lot of hose in a variety of sizes, they seem to like making everything different just to make you cunfuzzled :confused:

-Ted

I'll check the hoses but the carb itself is spewing from all the gaskets, so it's toast. I'm either gonna go to the pick 'n pull and take an intake manifold and holley from an f-150 or f-250 with a 351w or look to get a rebuilt VV, I've seen many on Ebay for 59$ from a guy who mass rebuilds them.

"Close by" is still a 4 hour drive though, and it's -30 out now so I'll wait a bit lol

Back