GPS/LTE Antenna Wiring

edougawa

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited 4WD
Hi

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with roof mount GPS / LTE antenna.

I got it in my PIU but the guys who decommissioned the vehicle seems like cutting every wire he can, and trimmed all antenna connectors along with their labels. I want to reuse the LTE antenna for my in-vehicle wi-fi hot spot but couldn't figure out which wire is which.

It would be great if anyone knows how to distinguish the wires and rebuild the connectors.

Photo attached. (the red wire is the rear cargo power supply, two of the black wires are RF antenna for radio, and the rest of them I have no idea what they are).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPBmLKfAZK5EEkQTA

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that in the retail Explorer the GPS antenna is under the dash toward the driver's side. The roof mounted antenna is for AM/FM with the Sirius/XM antenna in the base.

Peter

I wouldn't re-use any old coax left behind from a decommission. Install new hardware.

I wouldn't re-use any old coax left behind from a decommission. Install new hardware.

What’s the reason behind it?

It was a permanent installation and will be tons of headache if I have to remove the whole headliner to detach the old one.

I agree, do not try to splice antenna connections . I assume they are all 3/4” NMO mounts. I would pull the old ones out that are not used and plug the holes and install a new mount and antenna for your purpose. Dropping the headliner is not difficult, just a little time consuming pulling off the A,B, and C pillar trim pieces and dome lights.

I agree, do not try to splice antenna connections . I assume they are all 3/4” NMO mounts. I would pull the old ones out that are not used and plug the holes and install a new mount and antenna for your purpose. Dropping the headliner is not difficult, just a little time consuming pulling off the A,B, and C pillar trim pieces and dome lights.

Well in fact the one I'm talking about is not NMO. The cable is soldered into the PCB inside the antenna package (check the link I attached in the previous reply). If I have to took it out, besides all the headache taking down the headliner (which I had done it before, that's why I want to avoid doing it again), the replacement antenna itself will costs couple hundred bucks.

But since everyone says it is a bad idea, guess I just have to give up on it and get a window stick antenna instead.

.........But since everyone says it is a bad idea, guess I just have to give up on it and get a window stick antenna instead.
That would be a very directional antenna with little to no ground plane.

Peter

Back