• Register Today It's free!

GPS recommendations

David in NC

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
My wife's new job will take her around the state for the next 18-24 months and I want to get her a GPS. I'm inclined to get the $79 special, but I'm afraid it's a pos that is hard to use. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am very partial to the garmin gps. My dad has an older C-340 and I have a 255wt that has traffic alert on it and it is free lifetime traffic alert. It really saved my butt when we went through DC last year. I think I got it on sale at Best Buy for like $129. Both the garmins I have dealt with are very easy to use.

My research has lead me to believe that Garmin produces the most user-friendly and best valued GPS units currently on the market. My parents have the lowest Nuvi model and coming in at around $89, it is a pretty amazing GPS. Some of the higher end units allow you to play MP3s through your radio. If you don't already have an MP3 capable stereo, this might be something worth considering since a lot of time will be spent on the road.

Nothing's more reliable than trusty, paper maps. Everyone who drives ought to learn how to read basic maps before ever using a gps device IMHO. Personally, I use google maps on my iphone but always carry a backup map in the truck.

But if you're into the turn-by-turn thing, Garmin is definitely a safe choice since they've been in the gps market forever and know what they're doing. I've also used a TomTom on a road trip before and it was decent in both UI and directions.

I agree to a point. Everyone should at least know how to read a map, but maps are generally only good for getting from one general area to another. City maps are harder and harder to find nowadays and if you have to travel frequently in different cities, you would need a map for each. GPS units, on the other hand, are great for when you need to get to very specific locations or general locations.

I agree to a point. Everyone should at least know how to read a map, but maps are generally only good for getting from one general area to another. City maps are harder and harder to find nowadays and if you have to travel frequently in different cities, you would need a map for each. GPS units, on the other hand, are great for when you need to get to very specific locations or general locations.

True, you do need to make sure you have detailed maps for specific areas that you'll be visiting which is a minor hassle. But paper maps are as detailed as their digital counterparts (sans any online frills) so they can get you anywhere a gps unit will take you except that the user is responsible for making decisions. I guess I'm just trying to say that gps units should be used as a convenience as opposed to sole resource for navigation.
Anyhoo sorry for the digression, don't mean to start an old debate. Thread-hijack over :p:

Garmin 255WT or 265WT. I have both of them and they are great. Look on Amazon for sales. I bought the 255 as a refurbished unit. Works great, full warranty, looked brand new, but it took me about a dozen emails to get the one-time free map update. Not sure it was worth the hassle to save $25.00

big believer in AAA. the back up maps are the best. i use motionX gps on my iphone. works great. best to have backup

I have a Garmin Nuvi 205. Bought it refurbished on eBay for $100.

My Dad just bought a Garmin 1450 or something for a LOT more money which is filled with a bunch of features neither of us will ever use. If you have a choice, get the least expensive Garmin that has turn-by-turn if you need that. Otherwise, spending more is not necessary.

If it's going into an Ex or you might use it there, check out my link...

CLICK ME

Thanks for the advice. I bought a refurbished Garmin 265WT from Amazon for $129. I went with this one for the lifetime traffic feature.

Good choice! :thumbsup:

My vote goes for Garmin. hasn't let me down once and very user friendly

For on-road use, the cheapest of the Garmin Nuvis will do exactly what you're looking for. I hardwired one to the fuse box in my Z and it's the best 100 bucks I spent. It lacks the advanced features like bluetooth, but I haven't missed it at all.

Nothing's more reliable than trusty, paper maps. Everyone who drives ought to learn how to read basic maps before ever using a gps device IMHO. Personally, I use google maps on my iphone but always carry a backup map in the truck.

I am also a firm believer in paper maps. In fact, this weekend I will be teaching my 12 year old son how to read maps as we travel from Grand Forks ND to Kansas City. Although I do have the cheap NUVI 205 (which works really well) i'm gonna let him make some of the decisions along the way. Should be a busy but fun road trip. We just say we are in training for Bull Run on the Speed Channel.

i've used some of the goodyear ones, and they are very user friendly and accurate, they are updateable and usually not very expensive

If by chance you have a smartphone with a data plan, you might consider www.waze.com as a GPS solution.

Waze is a mix of a turn-by-turn GPS program with voice announce, and something resembling a social networking site.

What? social networking? Yep. When waze is running, your client sends some data back to the web site (this can be anonymous if you choose), and if traffic is backed up, or some other waze user reports a road hazard, the other waze clients in the area get notified.

So, turn by turn with voice announcements, near instant peer based traffic reporting, and... it's free!

Works with Iphone, Android, and Windows mobile phones with GPS and data plans.

I own the Garmin 350 and 775.

The traffic feature on the 775 is nice, but it seems like it is 15 - 30 minutes behind reality.

I love the address books and phone numbers.

The 775 will link with a phone via Bluetooth and you can dial any number the address book finds for you. Very handy for calling your destination before you get there.

I have been using GPS for years. Occationally, the maps and guidance on these units is incorrect. They have directed me in a few circles, as well as a longer route than necessary. You really need to look at the overall route they plan for you and determine if it makes logical sense.

They are addictive . . .

Back