• Register Today It's free!

GPS Unit/Antenna Failure?

Irishfred

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 explorer limited 4wd
Has anyone had the pleasure in replacing the GPS unit/antenna?

Months ago, my battery died. As this car has push-button ignition, the car continued to crank when the battery was low.

Needless to say, after replacing the battery the GPS was nonfunctional. There is an "x" over the GPS icon on the navigation screen. The compass always points north.

I have flashed the unit, discharged the capacitors, etc without success.

The GPSU is very cheap ($60)- however I do not know how to attack this remove/replace project. It is located under the dash, but I cannot find any help on the web thus far...

Any help is appreciated!

I doubt that a dead battery would cause a failure in the GPS unit. Did you perform the Battery Management System (BMS) reset after replacing that battery? See page 373 of your Owner's Manual. Navigation is one of several items affected.

Peter

The battery has been in the car for 3 months. Per the manual, overnight with the doors closed should "reset" this system.

When going into the "service mode", the antenna has 255 satellites found. There are other fields that have "255" listed on this screen. Every other option works in the car (cooled/heated seats, bluetooth, etc...).

I'm at a loss as to what else could be the issue. I may attempt to reset the BMS when I get some time this weekend.

The battery has been in the car for 3 months. Per the manual, overnight with the doors closed should "reset" this system.

When going into the "service mode", the antenna has 255 satellites found. There are other fields that have "255" listed on this screen. Every other option works in the car (cooled/heated seats, bluetooth, etc...).

I'm at a loss as to what else could be the issue. I may attempt to reset the BMS when I get some time this weekend.
See the last paragraph in the following post. While letting the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours will reset the BMS it will not erase the existing memory according to a few posts I've read. That requires 'outside' intervention. Battery Replacement / Upgrade - Battery Re-Learn Not saying that is the issue, and it probably isn't, but it would be good to start with a 'clean slate' so to speak. I don't recall anyone having to replace the GPS unit but hope they will join in if they have. Good luck.

Peter

Back