GPSM and APIM testing - Nav issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GPSM and APIM testing - Nav issues

jmr061

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Exp Sport
MFT HOME SCREEN.jpg
MFT SETTINGS SCREEN.jpg
MFT HELP SCREEN.jpg
MFT SYSTEM INFORMATION.jpg
MFT BEZEL DIAGNOSTICS.jpg
APIM DIAGNOSTICS.jpg
GPS INFORMATION.jpg
I decided to write this up...going to see if I can make this a sticky:

MyFord Touch Navigation Issues (tracking and no GPS Lock)

The Navigation System in the MyFord Touch (MFT) models has two integral parts. First is the GPSM (Global Positioning System Module) which is a GPS receiver. This is mounted just under the dash pad above the right side of the instrument cluster. The other part of the system is the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) also known as the SYNC module which is attached to the rear of the MFT display.

The GPSM receives signals from the GPS satellites and then transmits that data over the vehicle network to the APIM. The APIM then uses this GPS data to “know” the location of the vehicle. Depending on other circumstances the APIM may also use data from other modules within the vehicle network.

It is important that both the GPSM and APIM have the most up to date software. Unfortunately it is not possible for the vehicle owner to determine the software level in the GPSM. The only way to know if an update is available for the GPSM is to go to the dealer or someone with the dealer vehicle software known as IDS and have them hook up to the vehicle and check for software updates.

As of writing this information (12-02-15) the APIM should have a software version of 3.08.15128. To check your version check the end of this post. If you are not at 3.08.15128 please visit the www.owner.ford.com or www.syncmyride.com site and register your vehicle and download the latest update and install it.

Some owners have reported that the vehicle location is not properly being displayed. At this point it is very important to make sure both GPSM and APIM have the latest software. If you see a red “X” on the GPS icon then the GPSM does not have enough satellites registered to track the vehicle location. I am going to attempt to describe the listed service procedure for this issue. The list is for if each item passes. If a check fails it goes into detail on how to correct the issue. Strangely the first step is not ensuring that the GPS and APIM have the latest software version. THIS SHOULD BE THE FIRST THING CHECKED BY A SERVICE TECH IN MY OPINION.

- Service tech is to run a network test for the APIM
- If it passes then check for power at the USB port in the media hub
- If it passes then reset the APIM and test for audio output at the media hub USB. (don’t have a clue why that would affect anything)
- Check if system displays Insert NAV SD Card or NAV SD Card Fault.
- If everything passes then checks move to the GPSM
- Perform network test for GPSM
- Check for DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) related to GPSM and APIM
- Force reprogramming of APIM
- If system still fails to have a GPS signal or track the vehicle properly continue with troubleshooting
- Check GPSM connections for corrosion or damaged connectors
- If issue(s) still persist check for TSB (that would be checking for latest software which should have already been done)
- INSTALL NEW GPSM AT THIS POINT.
- If issue still persists then check the APIM connections for corrosion, bent pins, etc. Then conduct full APIM testing via APIM hardware test. This should indicate if the APIM is bad.

The above is summarized for easy of understanding (hopefully). So basically (and this is my opinion) the dealer should be making sure that both the APIM and GPSM have the latest software FIRST. If the issue remains, troubleshoot the GPSM and replace if no obvious physical damage is visible to the terminal connections (which there really shouldn’t be). If that is replaced and issue(s) still persist with satellite lock/vehicle tracking then APIM testing should be conducted and ultimately replaced.

I hope this helps some owners understand how the system works and what their service department should be doing.

To check your version of APIM:
Press the “gears” for settings screen, then press HELP, then PRESS SYSTEM INFORMATION

Also you can enter the Diagnostics for MFT. With the vehicle running press and hold the CD eject button and then press and hold the seek up button on the stereo control panel. Continue to do this for 3-5 seconds and the bezel diagnostics will come up...it may do a speaker test first. Then press "APIM DIAGNOSTICS' followed by "GPS INFORMATION" at which point the GPS screen will come up and show how many satellites it is tracking along with other useful info such as lat/long/altitude and speed and direction.

Excellent explanation Jason.

Now I fully understand the process.

The sad thing is very few dealership service techs understand the issue as well as you have explained it. Any Explorer owner here with this issue would be well served by printing this thread explanation for the benefit of their dealership technicians.

This is great info and it’s nice to understand a deeper level of your own vehical.

Thanks.

I have the issue with the GPS signal. Sometimes the Small Screen shows „Off Route“ for a second and the sync screen shows the car next to the route.
But in Diagnostic Mode the GPS is still present and no issues with that.
Any idea how to start?

I made a short video which shows the issue I have with GPS.
http://www.querys.de/Explorer/GPS.mov

Back