Granatelli MAF, Check Engine Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Granatelli MAF, Check Engine Light

Explorezit

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Hi all.

I've got a 99 XLT V6 SOHC with 52K miles on it. After finding this board I got pumped about doing some mods on it. I started with a K&N charger, then a Superchip, custom catback, Power Slot Rotors. An excellent increase in performance up to this point. Then I put on an Airaid TB spacer, and I just today installed a Granatelli MAF. Now after the engine runs awhile the check engine light comes on. Whats going on? I also now have hard cold start since I put the TB spacer on a week ago but I can't blame the MAF.

Any idea whats going and how to fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reponse.
I ordered the MAF that was specific for cold air tuning. There is no tube that connects to the MAF only the wiring harness connector. So this means I have to exchange it? I'm not very mechanical and this is all new to me so what is a IAT?

intake air temp.

maybe you can get the IAT from an older x (my 96 had one) and splice it in?

I'll talk to Granatelli in the morning and see what they have to say. According to the web site that I order it from, it should only need recalibration if I install larger injectors. I'll look into the spicing something if I have to. Just noticed on the packing slip from Proficient Performance where I got it "Return Policy Exchange Only" so I might be stuck with one and having to find a way to make it work.

Any idea why I suffer from cold starts since I installed the TB spacer?

Do it just like I did ; its simple.

aldive,

I read through the thread you refer to but your last comment:

"The light ( CEL ) is back on again, damnit.

I checked the IAT and it was reading -40 F ( thats minus 40 F ). Trouble in paradise......"

So I don't see how you resolved the CEL issue. Could you be specific for me, I'm old and slow.
Thanks.

Its clearly detailed in the link I provided; read the entire thread.

If you have any other questions then, ask away.

Aldive,

Sorry I didn't see the second page.........duhh....

Explorezit said:
Aldive,

Sorry I didn't see the second page.........duhh....

Did that answer your questions?

I personally think you should return it and get a pro-m. I have had my pro-m mass air on my 99 for about a month now with no problems at all.

Yes, it did, thanks alot. Before I try that, I just talked to Granatelli, and Mike in support said I just need to remove the Superchip, return the computer to stock form, clear it, drive it without the Superchip for 20 miles, they reommend a couple of days, then put the Superchip back in and all should be OK. He seemed to be quite aware of this issue with chips. I will make sure and post the results of his recommmedation.
Thanks again.

Did you check the wireing to see if the new MAF has the IAT sensor?

aldive,
Yes I did, the new MAF has the IAT sensor built in.

After the computer reset, no CE light!!!! Ya hooooooo!!!! Now to put the Jacobs wires on....

Back