Granatelli MAF CODE due to cold AIR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Granatelli MAF CODE due to cold AIR

Stanleyjd

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97EBawdV8&96XLT4.04x4
Granatelli MAF CODE due to cold AIR INTAKE

I called Granatelli today and they said they no longer reflash/ reprogram their own MAF sensors. that is crap i keep getting a code due to my cold air intake. it works fine with the stock intake. any suggestions for getting this problem fixed. they basicly told me mines trash and i could buy an new one WTF? I willl never buy another one of their products since they dont know how to stand behind them.

WHO CAN FLASH THIS THING TO FIX THE TURBULENCE PROBLEM

rotating the MAF isnt an option since i have the MAC intake from explorer express

1997 5.0 explorer

Directly off their website:

MAF Cold Air Tuning:
If you now have or plan to install a high flow air intake or air filter system, you MUST have cold air mass airflow sensor tuning. Cold air inductions significantly increase airflow and can cause tremendous turbulence in the air intake stream. When using the GMS mass airflow sensor with any type of cold air induction, high flow induction, or high flow air filter, your GMS mass airflow sensor must be calibrated with cold air tuning or a check engine light can occur. Cold air tuning is designated by a "C" as the last digit in the part number. Cold air tuning is also available for existing GMS mass airflow sensor owners - please call 805-486-6644 for details.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use the stock MAF sensor on the stock MAF housing with my high flow intake and there is no problem. Other people have used the stock sensor with other aftermarket MAF housings without a problem. What size is their sensor housing? I read somewhere that it can be too big for your injectors to handle.

I called Granatelli today and they said they no longer reflash/ reprogram their own MAF sensors. that is crap i keep getting a code due to my cold air intake. it works fine with the stock intake. any suggestions for getting this problem fixed. they basicly told me mines trash and i could buy an new one WTF? I willl never buy another one of their products since they dont know how to stand behind them.

WHO CAN FLASH THIS THING TO FIX THE TURBULENCE PROBLEM

rotating the MAF isnt an option since i have the MAC intake from explorer express

1997 5.0 explorer

Directly off their website:

MAF Cold Air Tuning:
If you now have or plan to install a high flow air intake or air filter system, you MUST have cold air mass airflow sensor tuning. Cold air inductions significantly increase airflow and can cause tremendous turbulence in the air intake stream. When using the GMS mass airflow sensor with any type of cold air induction, high flow induction, or high flow air filter, your GMS mass airflow sensor must be calibrated with cold air tuning or a check engine light can occur. Cold air tuning is designated by a "C" as the last digit in the part number. Cold air tuning is also available for existing GMS mass airflow sensor owners - please call 805-486-6644 for details.

Is the IAT sensor built into this MAF or is it a separate probe?

stock MAF is fine i wanted an upgrade for obvious reasons. only afertmarket MAF seem to have a problem with turbulence. i have had to go back to stock for the mean time. yes there is a a separate sensor for the temp. i have an idea of putting hte stock screen that comes with the stock MAF but its raining here and too cold for me. i will have to try that later

Get rid of the Granatelli meter. Cal'd meters are inferior to the stock meter in custom tuned situations.-j

What exactly is that difference James? MAF sensors started out as "calibrated" for 19# injectors, or 24#'s etc. That's how the Ford MAF's were on EECIV Mustangs. How are the newer OEM sensors not calibrated?

I believe that he needs PCM tuning, but how would that be possible with an OEM meter, or an SCT unit, but not the other aftermarket "calibrated" MAF's? Regards,

Meters calibrated through the aftermarket are generally factory sensors (there are exceptions) with the resistors sandblasted. This is a very crude process. Meters like the factory units have a 0-5v range with 5volts being harder to be reached as you step up in better meters (i.e Lightning meter-perfect example). This limit is engineered into the meter rather than "adjusted" through other processes. The BA-series meters through SCT achieve the same manufacturing process such as the stock meters with the 5v limit being even harder to achieve. This is also engineered through the electronics of the meter and not the above crude process of "calibrating" a meter. Calibrated meters are just that, so if you have a meter calibrated for 19# injectors doesn't mean you will put it on and it will work. What are the airflow requirements of the engine. What engine was it calibrated for. Regardless of whether you have a calibrated meter or not custom tuning will still be necessary. Also most calibrated meters (from what I have seen) will saturate faster than a properly sized stock style meter. So if you are going to spend the money on a meter and tuning will be necessary why not take advantage of the stock (precise) electronics and custom tuning to dial in your combination.

EEC-V has changed everything. So in the current combinations it is not a proper comparison of the way things used to be done to our combinations now. Tuning years ago isn't where it is now hence the reason for calibrated meters, it was mainly necessity. Now, I can (and have) tuned several EEC-iv vehicles with tuning (using Lightning meters and Ba-series meters) rather than using calibrated meters. Generally driveability will be better and the overall character of the vehicle will change for the better. The only draw back with EEC-iv is that I cannot send a tune via email and I physically have to sit in the vehicle to tune. Man times have changed, technology has changed. Now only if the mindset will change in time.

so your recommendation is go back to the stock one? how would i go about locating someone locally in my area to have it calibrated?

Back