Granatelli MAF Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Granatelli MAF Install

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
My interest in the Granatelli MAF (http://www.granatellimotorsports.com ) was in its potential ability to improve gas mileage, performance boost is a nice bonus for me.

The Granatelli MAF is physically different from the stock MAF; take a look at the end view photograph of the to units ( the stock MAF is on the left ).

The installation of the Granatelli MAF is a simple one. First the battery negative terminal is removed, and then I removed the bracket holding the KKM filter and loosened the hose clamp holding the stock MAF to the intake tube.

Next, on the workbench, the stock MAF was unbolted from the KKM and the Granatelli MAF bolted to the KKM. Now, back at the truck, the Granatelli MAF was reattached to the intake tube and the hose clamp tightened. The electrical connector was now attached to the new MAF. The battery cable was then reconnected. A final look to see that everything was installed properly was done.

The complete install took about 15 minutes.

Time has come to crank the truck; she fired immediately. The idle was normal for a cold start.

A quick road test of about 20 miles was performed. There was a noticeable boost in acceleration from 2000 RPM. There was a bit more “throaty” noise from the intake, whicj I anticipated due to the ~40% larger MAF. It also appears that less throttle pressure is needed to maintain a given speed. I anticipate a long trip soon to determine the effect of gas mileage.

Attachments

• mascompar1.jpg
    mascompar1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,003

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice... how much did it cost and where did u get it from if u dont mind me asking?

I ordered it from Performance Prodicts ( Dead Link Removed ). They are currently offering a 15% off sale.

The price before discount was $338.95.

Originally posted by Gimp
Good results.

Don't forget to waterproof that electrical connection by putting a little dielectric grease in there.

Thanks for that hint, Gimp. I shall go do it right away.

How about them Dawga?

where do u put the grease? inbetween the connection of the maf and wiring harness?

Great install man. I was thinking about getting one myself. But the FIPK will be tempting once it comes out. As for those asking about price. If you want a Granatelli MAF you can get them cheapest from Summit, with free shipping. Go Dead Link Removed to find out the Granatelli part number and then go here to find out the price from Summit.

Pro-M makes the same MAF just without the granatelli name for about 199.98. i've been told granatelli just slaps their name on em and jacks the price way up? is this true?

What size was the new one?

If I remember right I bought my Gran MAF for $180...it was on sale on some place like Summit. It was an impulse buy...It was too good a deal for me to pass up at the time, even though I didn't expect much improvement due to my mods at that time.

I too noticed more throaty sound and also better kick in the high RPMs. the Gran MAF is a LOT larger than the stock MAF sensor tube on a 1st gen.

but then if you still have stock intake tube won't that kind kill the results from the new MAF?

Originally posted by DeagleDave
but then if you still have stock intake tube won't that kind kill the results from the new MAF?

The larger MAF is not needed for its size, the advantage is the way it sends data to the EEC.

was it worth the money? as far as dollar to percieve hp ratio.

The Granitelli MAF comes with the larger tube. What I meant in my earlier post was that I installed the Granitelli MAF and tube..

After running the truck for a day, it threw a code. The code was PO113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input.

I cleared the code for now.

I am wondering if I really need to contact Granatelli and have them recalibrate. They mention this posibality on their website.

>>When using the GMS mass airflow sensor with any type of cold air induction, high flow induction, or high flow air filter, your GMS mass airflow sensor must be calibrated with cold air tuning or a check engine light can occur<<

I have a KKM intake only.

I have a KKM with the Granitelli, and it didn't throw a code. Of course that means nothing since you have a 99 and I have a 94, and so the PCM's are different, different air/fuel curves...etc.

One of the first mods I got was a Granatelli MAF. It kept throwing coeds, so I returned it and got another. Same thing, codes kept coming. Ao I returned it and got my $$$ back. No codes since. :D

Originally posted by DocVijay
One of the first mods I got was a Granatelli MAF. It kept throwing coeds, so I returned it and got another. Same thing, codes kept coming. Ao I returned it and got my $$$ back. No codes since. :D

What code was it throwing?

It was two years ago, so I really don't remember. I remember that the CE light came on whenever the engine was warm. It would start up fine, and only when the engine reached normal operating temo would the light come on. So probaly the same code as yours.

The light ( CEL ) is back on again, damnit.

I checked the IAT and it was reading -40 F ( thats minus 40 F ). Trouble in paradise......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al, the -40F is the same temperature reading I get when I unplug my IAT sensor. If your '99 SOHC is set up the same way mine is then your MAF doesn't have anything to do with your IAT. My IAT is inserted in the intake hose between the MAF and throttle body. I have read that some MAF have the IAT built in. If this is the type that yours has, then it probably is related to your IAT. On my '97, its not. If your IAT is in your intake hose, disconnect the wire connector and plug it back in. Also check to see if maybe it just fell out. If your IAT is built in to your MAF, then you will have to have your MAF exchanged.

Back