Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor

91expl-sport

Reaction score
Hello Dudes this will be my last mod done to my truck without working on the engine, and I do not plan on having any engine work done on the 4.0 because it isn’t worth it. I just ordered A mas airflow sensor and can not wait until it gets here. Although site claims 10 to 15 hp I do not believe them. Has any one on the site have similar mods with the Mass Airflow Sensor. I will like to here from you....

91 Explorer Sport 4.0 V6 EFI
K&N FIPK for a 96 explorer
BBK 66MM THROTTLEBODY
BORLA HEADERS
SUPERCHIP
FLOWMASTER 40 AND 2 1/4 CUSTOM PIPES
180 JET THEMOSTAT
UNI TRACKTION BARS
Wind Jammer
Lund Sunvisor
Smithblit front bumper

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got that TB you have... that was under advertised if you ask me. That was awsome! anyways... I want that same MAS... let me know how it turns out...

nick

Hey... how does your FIPK work? What did you need to do to make it fit? I might build my own...

nick

K&N FIPK for a 96 Explorer

Hello Nick, I am not sure if I have the FIPK but the filter is a large cone type. The only way to install it is to remove the Factory air box and move the fuse box near the Solenoid. The tube that connects to the MAS and Throttlebody is move forward but does not interferes with the alternator, althrough its over the pully. I am looking into getting a metal blue colored tube from wwww.wholesalehyperformance.com/intakes.html.
1991 - 97 Ford Explorer (6cyl. only) Part #70720. At this time I don't know want the price is all I need is the Tube...

Bosch Platinum +4's
BBK 66MM THROTTLEBODY
BORLA HEADERS
Flow master Series 40 AND 2 1/4 CUSTOM PIPES
SUPERCHIP
Edelbrock shocks
255/70-R15 Viper LT’s With 3.73 Gears
180 JET THEMOSTAT
Pilot Pro-Truck Series PL-700B Fog Lights on the Smithblit bumper
UNI TRACKTION BARS
Wind Jammer
Lund Sun visor

Did you see my post about that? I just saw that the other day and posted the URL... I thought I was the special one to find it! :) hehe. I think Im going to order that too... but im not sure... our airboxes might be in diffrent places... Im trying to get my airfilter closer to the front, behind the headlight... so I have to move my battery where my airbox used to be... and then run a new tube to the old battery location...

nick

Well, I tried going to that link, but it was unable to locate the server. Would you checkl that link again make sure its correct and post a correct one for me?? Thanks

GMS MAF

Well, I had the GMS om my 98 Trans Am. $350.00. Zero gain on the Dyno. Now, with the computer in the T/A it relearns the airflow & fuel mixture. What this means is that Yes, I saw a 6 HP gain nad 2 weeks later I saw Zero Gain. Unless I modify the Computer to not adjust back to a 14.7:1 ratio ( $800 ) then there was no advantage. Also, the stock MAS on the T/A is rated to flow fine upto about 600 HP ( I only have 308 HP )so most of the LS1 people are not using the GMS anymore. Spending the money elsewhere.

Now with this said, I'm not sure how it affects the Explorer with your year model, but thought you should know my experiance with them on my oter car.

Good Luck

I just got my Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor (70mm) and feels like I had some HP gain but its hard to tell because I reset the computer and Every time I reset the computer the truck runs great and after a week or so its dies down. Althrough throtte feels a lot stronger. I am giving its try for three weeks. Gofast stated he lost the HP gain in two weeks if so I am sending it back.....

Bosch Platinum +4's
BBK 66MM THROTTLEBODY
BORLA HEADERS
Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor 70MM
SUPERCHIP
Edelbrock shocks
180 JET THEMOSTAT
UNI TRACKTION BARS
Wind Jammer
Lund Sun visor

I wonder if you lose the hp only if you run a stock computer??? Maybe the superchip will keep the hp.. who knows...

nick

HP gains with GMS?

It's really hard to tell what you'll get with the GMS. All my experiance with GMS was with a 98 Trans Am. I would say that the majority 80% or more of the LS1 people have not gained any HP with the GMS. I'm not sure but I think the MAF is only a meter for for the A/F ratio in the computer. If the computer is set to keep the A/F ratio at 14.7 to 1, then it will only be a little while before the computer tunes the car back to this ratio. I think the HP gains are from the GMS leaning out the A/F ratio when it's installed. The motor will make more power with this slightly lean condition but at the same time the car is slowly self adjusting back to the "safe" 14.7 ratio.

I think you would be better off taking you truck to a "Tuner" that will custom program your trucks computer to make the most power the way it is set-up.

All the "chips" are pretty much generic, so you'll see some gains from these but maybe not the most gains you could get. They are cheaper than custom $800 programming too. So it depends on what your going for. I just think your better off spending your money somewhere beside the MAF sensor.

Good Luck.

Well i am getting a whole lot better throttle responce than before. The jury is still out..........

I just got this information from the Granatelli site.

Q. Will the Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor work with computer chips like Hypertech, Superchips and Jet. Furthermore, is it compatible with other aftermarket bolt-ons like cams, header and throttle-bodies?

A. Yes, The Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor should not be considered a ported meter. Rather, it is a 50-state legal, original equipment style replacement sensor. Do to the fact that it is “truly calibrated” it plays no tricks on the factory ECM/PCM and therefore can properly communicate with the aftermarket chips. – Additionally, The Granatelli Mass Airflow sensor has the ability compensate and calibrate when customers add aftermarket headers, throttle bodies, camshafts (within reason) and cylinder heads

Bosch Platinum +4's
BBK 66MM THROTTLEBODY
BORLA HEADERS
Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor 70MM
SUPERCHIP
Edelbrock shocks
180 JET THEMOSTAT