• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Grass Trimmer Question

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
ok i'm buying a grass trimmer for my father and he wants the one's with the attachments. i pretty much decided to get him the STIHL KM130R with the a few attachments.

i also need to get another trimmer with attachments available for it cheaper that stihl and i'm thinking for TROY-BILT.

any suggestions about those choices are welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
I have the craftsman model--it is actually made by poulan

I got some bad oil and now need a new power head-but it worked well enough I will replace it.
The tiller head will throw a brick into your shin and leave a mark-
I also have the blower head, and the long pruner attatchment.
The string feed on the weed whacker part is the weak link.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
I have one of the Stihl profesional trimmers with an adjustable hedge trimmer, cultivator, and pole pruner chain saw. I love it. The attachments do not come off in the middle like the one you are talking about but instead all fit just on the end. It makes it easier for storage. You cant go wrong with any Stihl products though.

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
how long you have it? do you have the 4 mix series or the pro? how offen are you using it?

i wanted to have one like yours, but stihl told me that i have to buy the shaft for each attachment anyways so i felt that the kombi system is better.

every attachment came with shaft or you get them alone?

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
how long you have it? do you have the 4 mix series or the pro? how offen are you using it?

i wanted to have one like yours, but stihl told me that i have to buy the shaft for each attachment anyways so i felt that the kombi system is better.

every attachment came with shaft or you get them alone?
I guess it would be the Pro, it is a FS85 trimmer. I use it professionally about 6-8 hours a week just as a edger/trimmer and I have had it for 3 or 4 years now. It gets a few hours a month with the hedge trimmer attachment.

The shaft stays with the trimmer when changing attachments, I only have 1 for all the attachments. Here are what the attachments for mine look like:

(above) Best attachment ever next to the trimmer head! This could cut a finger off.

E.B. Cornburner

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I've got a Stihl FS56 trimmer, and it's awesome. Never had problem one with it. I tend to accumulate old outdoor power equipment, and especially weed trimmers. Since they usually cost me little to nothing to get running again, I sell them super cheap or give them to friends. I've had a couple old Homelites and a nice McCulloch recently.

They're worth nothing used, so I just help out people that need/want one.

I'd definitely go for a Stihl or possibly a Husqvarna. Ryobi makes a nice 4-stroke trimmer, but the added complexity of them would shy me away from one. I still prefer a 2-stroke engine on anything I use outdoors.

You'd have to pry my 2-stroke Lawn-Boy mowers out of my cold, dead fingers before I'd ever mow the yard with a 4-stroke anything. I've got 4 Lawn-Boys of various vintage in my shed right now, and 3 others at various locations just because I cut the grass at those places, and it's easier to leave one than transport them all the time.
A great site for lawn and garden equipment info is www.mytractorforum.com

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
I guess it would be the Pro, it is a FS85 trimmer. I use it professionally about 6-8 hours a week just as a edger/trimmer and I have had it for 3 or 4 years now. It gets a few hours a month with the hedge trimmer attachment.

The shaft stays with the trimmer when changing attachments, I only have 1 for all the attachments. Here are what the attachments for mine look like:

(above) Best attachment ever next to the trimmer head! This could cut a finger off.

so when you bought each attachment it came with a shaft or you bought just the attachments without the shaft.stihl tries to sell me each attachment with the shaft which is very expensive.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
so when you bought each attachment it came with a shaft or you bought just the attachments without the shaft.stihl tries to sell me each attachment with the shaft which is very expensive.
No shaft came with the attachments and no seperate shaft is needed for each attachment. The only shaft you need for the attachments is the one that is already in the trimmer.

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
sorry for all the questions, but where you got those attachments and how much you paid for them.

i saw on stihl's webside that you can get the attachments without the shafts, but they still telling me that i'm wrong and i have to pay the extra money to get the shafts for each attachment too.

E.B. Cornburner

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
That hedge shear attatchement can do some serious damage to the shrubs if you don't know what you're doing (read: me this weekend)! Our shrubs at the shop were getting all shaggy and overgrown, and since I had one but never had anything to use it on, I fired up my little Homelite gas hedge trimmer, and went to town. Wow! Those things cut fast! I butchered up the first one pretty badly, and it's now quite a bit smaller than it started out being, just to clean up my boo-boos and reshape it into something somewhat normal looking. Oops! :D

My boss thought they looked fine though...I guess if he didn't complain, they're alright then.

It takes a bit of doing to get the hang of trimming shrubs...I thought it'd be easier than it was!

I guess there's a reason why I build race cars instead of doing landscaping. ;)

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
sorry for all the questions, but where you got those attachments and how much you paid for them.
Got mine at my local Stihl dealer. I dont remember how much it all was, it has been a while. rough guesstimate would probably be 800 for 3 attachments and the trimmer plus some other small stuff like oil.

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
is anybody using a 4-cycle trimmer?

i saw Troy-bilt and Craftsman 4-cycle engines, but i'm not convinced what is the best and most durable.

anybody has any idea on 4-cycle trimmers and what you think is the best brand?

E.B. Cornburner

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
For a 4-stroke trimmer, Ryobi is pretty decent. I haven't used one myself, but people that have them love them. I hear they're quite torquey too compared to a 2-stroke.

I don't like the added complexity of a 4-stroke engine, and I'm still not sold on the idea that it can stay properly lubed at any angle like they claim.

Who knows...Time will tell how well they hold up, and if enough tree-huggers do finally make the 2-stroke engine completely obsolete, we'll have no choice but to either adapt to the new technology, or continue to keep our trusty 2-stroke smokers running.

I plan on taking the latter road...I've got Lawn-Boys that are over 50 years old that still start as fast if not faster than the newest mower on the market. They do just as good a job mowing as the new ones too. IMHO, there's no better cut than you get with a Lawn-Boy mower, regardless of age. Not quite sure what makes it better, but if you look at a lawn mowed with a Lawn-Boy, and one mowed with another mower say something like a MTD product, or even the beloved Honda, you'll immediately see the difference.

I never thought I'd get old enough to say it, but "they sure don't make 'em like they used to."!