Great Article for "Offroader's" :( :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great Article for "Offroader's" :( :(

leetz

2wd All-Star
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida (School) Va.Beach, VA (Home) Beaufort, N.C. (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
What a wonderful article for everyone that visits yahoo.com to read.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...08/ts_latimes/twovisionsofthecountrysideclash

I think the farmer's story is a little bit odd, I dont think any of my buddies have felt the urged to hit an old man over the head because they might have been on his land. I hate articles like this because people read them and then think every single lifted truck is horrible and we go around ruining people's land and hitting elderly men on the head.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not cool, the only "offroaders" around here are mainly the highschool kids that actually do these things mentioned in the article. :rolleyes: :mad: :(

I guess I have the benefit of being on both sides of the coin on this one...

I love taking my truck off through the mud, or down some trails for a summer afternoon.

However I am also a pilot with an Air Cadet Gliding program in NS Canada. We operate on an airfield that used to me an old WWII air training base, and is now under private lease from Dept of Natural Resources. There are MANY trails around the airfield, many of them are loads of fun, but closed off limits to the general public.

There are however a great number of ATV/4x4 trucks who use the trails illegaly on a daily basis. The danger exists in that we operate with normally 9 aircraft running at a time off one runway. There is also frequent civilian traffic on the airfield as well. Unfortunatly, there is a great danger to atv users in the area when we are flying as many trails intersect with the ends of runways we use, and many drivers will drive down and cross runways as well too. Our unit has taken great lengths to educate to public on the dangers or runway incursion (potential collison danger) and the fact that our tow aircraft have a 200' rope trailing them with a 2" OD steel ring at the end that is traveling at about 80 mph on approach and could easily decapitate someone or lodge anywhere with in their body.

Many times have these riders cause conflict that forced aircraft to overshoot or change landing option on short final (cuz you can't overshoot a glider) and not only put's the ATV driver's life in danger, but that of our aircrew as well.

I also don't agree with the statement above that it is only highschool kids who are the problem as we routinly see families on ATVs causing the same problems. We post notices around the villiage, we publish notices/articles in the local paper, we approach the municipality, and we have MORE than sufficient signage in place warning of the dangers.

Long story short, the danger's of off roading on private land are not limited to pissing somebody off... it could mean your life, or that of someone else...

people like that that go on private land and tear it up shouldn't get away with just $100 fines or something petty like that, they need to actually repay the farmer damages and pay him some respect and help him out with some free work.
People like that kinda pi$$ me right off.

3 inch torsion twist is this possible?

i was reading up on the torsion twist for a 2wd explorer sport 2001 whats this about leetz lifting front with a torsion twist of 3inches is this possible and safe since we dont have 4wd ive heard rumors about it because i plan on 3in body and torsion and shackles and if i can get that last inch to squeeze 33s someone let me know?

Well we cranked them as high as they could go. I think we might have gotten a little closer to 2.5 instead of 3. Anyways, ya We don't have the cv's so we can go a little higher. Just make sure you get an alignment afterwards.

Back