Great Experience with Larry Miller Ford Lakewood, Colorado | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great Experience with Larry Miller Ford Lakewood, Colorado

JAPeterson

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
For the last year I have been fighting a bad TPMS in one of my tires. It was reading 5-8psi lower than the actual tire pressure. I took my Explorer into a dealer last January to have a recall done and mentioned this problem and asked if they would look at it. They came back and told me that they retrained the TPMS and all was well but I needed to drive it a ways. Somehow I was skeptical of this. Naturally the problem was still there.

Fast forward to last week. I had made a appointment at Larry Miller Ford to have this checked out and was ready for a argument with them about it. When I pulled it the service writer grabbed a tire pressure gauge and checked the tires and then looked at the reading on the dash. He then went and got another gauge and checked them again before pulling it into the service bay. He came back and said that they had retrained the sensors and that the problem was still there and that they would need it for a day since they didn't have a TPMS in stock. I told them that I would have to come back. So this morning I showed up and they got me right in. A hour later and my Explorer was ready to come home. The dash display looked strange with all the tire pressures reading the proper psi.

Now onto my next problem, paint bubbles on the hood. The service advisor told me that the problem was forwarded to Ford to see what they want to do. He mentioned that on some vehicles that they replaced the hood and on some they are just repainting them.

So we will see when they give me a call.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a good feeling to find a helpful and competent dealership.
Prior to selling my EX, I had an "ok" experience at the dealership that I originally bought the EX from (which was a 1hr drive there and back) and a terrible experience at a large volume dealership in town (which I had to escalate an issue all the way up to the owner of the dealership) and then finally a terrific dealership right under my nose.
If I end up buying the 2020 Explorer I will be going to that last dealership and have everything done there also.

It's pretty sad that having something as simple as a bad TPMS sensor replaced that is purely defective is labeled as a "great experience". Glad everything got fixed but it's amazing how many terrible dealerships there are out there that totally ruin the owner experience.

The big thing was that the first dealership just blew me off. They said that the sensor either worked or it didn't and didn't believe me when I told them what was happening.

And while this dealer didn't take my word as gospel at least they ran a couple of test to get it figured out

It's pretty sad that having something as simple as a bad TPMS sensor replaced that is purely defective is labeled as a "great experience". Glad everything got fixed but it's amazing how many terrible dealerships there are out there that totally ruin the owner experience.
I consider it a win if I take a vehicle in and it doesn't come back with other damage or problems.

I have a dealer that buys new/newer vehicles for me from factory auction, but if they come in and something is broken, let's say something simple like the plastic seat recline lever, they will tell me they can't repair it under warranty and quote me parts and labor. If I leave there and drive 7 miles to another dealer, they will replace it under warranty no problem.

It is sad, but let's all take the little victories any way we can get them.

A new update on the hood paint bubbles.

The dealer just called and said that Ford approved of the repair. They are going to replace the hood along with repainting it. They are now in the process of getting me a rental for when I drop it back off on this coming Monday.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Just to finish this off the new hood is on and painted. The only drawback was that the clear bra/bug shield was not put on due to the fact that it was added by the dealer and not Ford.

But come Wednesday that will also be taken care of by the dealer.

So I now have a new TPMS sensor in one of the tires and they all show the correct pressure on my dash read out. The hood was replaced and painted and all is well with my Explorer

Back