Green Beast | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Green Beast

Ok so this is how things started... Way back in 2008...

I was originally supposed to get my dads 1999 f150 Lariat 4wd, with everything I ever wanted in a pickup truck. But he traded it in and got his 2008 F150 Lariat 4wd.

So I was left with one option. Fix the old Explorer in the yard. She needed a torque converter seal. One hell of a job to say the least. Well at least for somebody who knew little about trucks at 16.

This is how things were after I finally got her going.

Explorer.jpg

Of course it didn't take long for me to find this website, and learn of all the cool things these trucks are capable of.

First mod was a fishing rod rack.

ExplorerDriveway2.jpg

GreenBeast1.jpg

Next mod was auxiliary lights.

P1210053.jpg

And on top as well.

P1210052.jpg

At Fort Fisher, NC Spring Break 2010

beachexplorer.jpg

June 4 2010 first anniversary

2010-06-04131922.jpg

2010-06-04131937.jpg

Doing a wheel bearing job.

ExplorerJack.jpg

Old Tires Goodyear Wrangler Radials

GoodyearWrangler.jpg

New tires Treadwright Muds with BFG A/T casing.

Tires.jpg

Tires1.jpg

Tires2.jpg

Tires3.jpg

1120001529a.jpg

Before... Faded Paint and ugly chrome grille, and headlight bezels.

1230101235.jpg

After... Fresh paint, and black grille. And I moved the lights from the top to the front.

0104111805.jpg

0105111041a.jpg

Loaded...

0107111105a.jpg

With my dads 2008 f150 Next to my truck.

0107111105.jpg

The latest is this lovely baby...

0129112249a1.jpg

More to come...

Other mods include cherrybomb exhaust, cb with whip, and a sound system as well. I love this truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So did the girl come with the truck? ;) I like the way the grill turned out. My 94 is the same color and I've been debating whether I'd like a black grill over the stock silver. Looks nice!

Haha no she didn't but the truck definitely helped in getting her haha. Another reason I love that thing!

Good looking truck. Keep up the good work. I'm still baffled by the fishing rod holders. Do you just set the rods in there to hold them, or do you actually drive around with rods sticking up?

Cjpooch; I'm still baffled by the fishing rod holders. Do you just set the rods in there to hold them said:
lol, same question for me....? ? ?

Haha, I drive down the freeway with them all the way to Fort Fisher/Carolina Beach. I put bungy cords on them to hold them down, but its really not that uncommon down here in Wilmington.

4wd. Most of the time, if people even attempt to go down the beach in 2wd they'll get stuck and be there for a while.

Nice x, I want to get a first gen some day. What are your plans for the next mod?

I definitely want to lift it. I'm content with 2 inches. I just want that little bit extra clearance for the sand. At some point I want to put new wheels on it, with a matching one on the rack too. I'm thinking about stock steel rims from a jeep, but from what I understand, the backspacing is questionable. A friend and I put some on his ranger, and they've given him no problems thus far, but I'm really looking into cragar soft 8s. The 397s.

nice x u got

where did you get that tire carrier. ive been looking to do something like that to mine

I got it off of a b2 at the pull apart. IT cost me roughly 2 dollars? I took a little bit of cutting, and a lot of nerve to start drilling holes into a perfectly ok body.

2 inches of lift is just right for the beach. If you want a little more height go with some 31's. From my experience, stock gets you through most sand but when you get into the soft stuff you end up dragging your diff.

Right now, thats the plan. The next set of tires I want are the Wardens that Treadwright makes. I love the tires I have now. Theyre just way too aggressive for the sand. As far as anything else, they rock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man! New update, I took off the spare tire rack. It makes entirely too much noise. So the spare is back underneath, and the rack is in my dorm room as decoration.

Back