Green Beast | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Green Beast

Ok so this is how things started... Way back in 2008...

I was originally supposed to get my dads 1999 f150 Lariat 4wd, with everything I ever wanted in a pickup truck. But he traded it in and got his 2008 F150 Lariat 4wd.

So I was left with one option. Fix the old Explorer in the yard. She needed a torque converter seal. One hell of a job to say the least. Well at least for somebody who knew little about trucks at 16.

This is how things were after I finally got her going.

Explorer.jpg

Of course it didn't take long for me to find this website, and learn of all the cool things these trucks are capable of.

First mod was a fishing rod rack.

ExplorerDriveway2.jpg

GreenBeast1.jpg

Next mod was auxiliary lights.

P1210053.jpg

And on top as well.

P1210052.jpg

At Fort Fisher, NC Spring Break 2010

beachexplorer.jpg

June 4 2010 first anniversary

2010-06-04131922.jpg

2010-06-04131937.jpg

Doing a wheel bearing job.

ExplorerJack.jpg

Old Tires Goodyear Wrangler Radials

GoodyearWrangler.jpg

New tires Treadwright Muds with BFG A/T casing.

Tires.jpg

Tires1.jpg

Tires2.jpg

Tires3.jpg

1120001529a.jpg

Before... Faded Paint and ugly chrome grille, and headlight bezels.

1230101235.jpg

After... Fresh paint, and black grille. And I moved the lights from the top to the front.

0104111805.jpg

0105111041a.jpg

Loaded...

0107111105a.jpg

With my dads 2008 f150 Next to my truck.

0107111105.jpg

The latest is this lovely baby...

0129112249a1.jpg

More to come...

Other mods include cherrybomb exhaust, cb with whip, and a sound system as well. I love this truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today I purchased my lift kit. I bought coil spacers for the front, and I'm putting shackles on the back. It should look nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today I installed my shackles. I got them from Advance Auto, and they gave my rear end the stance I want

Today I got these bad boys in the mail. But on the down side I received no bolts, or stud extenders. So I'm going to Lowe's. What grade bolt should I use, and how long should they be?

0307111447.jpg

I got them installed, and the clearance is on point. However when I went to install my new camber bushings, the driver's side blot is totally seized, and basically impossible to remove. The last person to take a wrench to it stripped the head on the bolt. I've literally tried everything. Any suggestions?

So today I took it up to crossroads automotive, and they're going to try and get that bolt out tomorrow.

I finally got the entire thing put together. I have an appointment at 2 with CarFix to get my alignment done.

How did you get the bolt out?

The guys down at crossroads automotive got it out, so I had to go to salvage yard, and pull one. It was free. However, CarFix could not align my truck due to a loose wheel bearing that I didn't even notice, so I fixed that issue, and discovered that my driver's side axle shaft seal is leaking... How the ###### do I get to that thing??

Tear down to the nuts and bolts I guess.

I had the same problem with my wife's truck when she went in to get her alignment done. Except she drive a Chevy and the bearing is sealed so you basically have to replace the whole kitten kabbodal.

Well I fixed the axle shaft seal. I had to venture to 4 different parts stores to actually find it, and it wasn't that hard to get the old one out, and put the new one in. Ill post some pics tomorrow of the Green Beast.

I bought a set of Mile Marker manual hubs, and the conversion kit today on eBay for 95 dollars shipped to my door. Brand new.

Its been a while since I've posted, and heres whats been going on. I bought a 93 f150 (4x4, manual transmission, manual transfer case, manual hubs, manual windows, door locks, and mirrors) she was rugged as hell, but the 302 took a dump on me and I had to let it go just 6 months after I got her.

truck.jpg

I got my explorer back but she's got a lot of issues. There is an incessant chirping sound that comes from the engine bay. It leaks motor oil, coolant, and transmission fluid. The sunroof leaks. The front tires are completely worn out.

The latest issues are that it is becoming increasingly harder to start, it idles very roughly, and the transmission is having a really rough time shifting from second to third when its being driven for the first time everyday.

how did you like those tread wright tires? you really cant beat those prices

I liked them a lot. I'm planning on buying two tires to match the rear. They got worn out because I had tons of issues with the front end when I lifted it and they were never aligned. But once I did get it aligned they began to wear like theyre supposed to, minus the damage that was already done.

And as an update, I ordered the shift kit, and I'm heading to the picknpull to pick up a valve body to rebuild.

It's been way too long since I've posted. Since my last post, my ex broke another flex plate, and I just ordered some new parts. I also bought a Cherokee on 31s that I really like, and my explorer is now my tinker toy.

image_zpsa7582183.jpg

But before I replace the flex plate I want to know if I can reuse my crankcase bolts (the ones that tie the flex plate and spacer to the crank) if they only had 3000 miles on them?

Back