grill paint fading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

grill paint fading

Alright so when i got my '95 painted in december i had him paint the front grill the grey color to look like the 98-01 x's. well a couple months later this happend(picture) and it was fading. My car is outside in the sun(my mom thinks her jeep is more worthy in the garage...i think not!) so it looks like it rained and the beaded water magnified the sun causing the paint to fade like it is. so what can i do to get this right and to prevent this from happening again? is there a special high heat spray paint to use that will produce the same color and finish. should i just spray like 10 coats of paint on? any ideas?

2264261_4_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you prep for the paint? What type paint did you use? Did you use a clear coat?

I painted my grill years ago and it still looks like the day it was painted. Take a look at Dead Link Removed.

Some clay bar may take that off. If it's just dried hard water spots.

the paint shouldn't actually be faded, while the water is there it can only ever hit the boiling point of water, well below the necesary temperature to cause damage like that. I would have to say it's prob. hard water deposits

tonymac97XL said:
the paint shouldn't actually be painted, while the water is there it can only ever hit 100 degrees celcium, well below the necesary temperature to cause damage like that. I would have to say it's prob. hard water deposites

Huh?????????????????????

oops, shoulda proof-read, was typing too fast. He said it was faded, possibly due to excessive temperature. well, it physically can't get that hot with water sitting on top of it, the water will boil, removing the heat. and when the water is gone, the lensing effect is gone, too. so the spots on the paint have to be stubbourn dirt, or acid rain damage, not fading from heat caused by the sun.

You bring a good point tony. thanks! I ended up taking off the grill, taping, and repainted it with plain black spray paint. I wanted it darker anyway so i guess i had an excuse to paint it. I scrubbed it well and then used a special paint adhesive helper to help it stick (Probably just wasted my money on that) and went through an entire can of black. It's been a week and it looks great! unfortunately now my trim that i painted last year is peeling in some places but I want it black(not grey) so ive got myself another project. I wish I didn't work too fast. i don't believe i cleaned the trim too well. thanks everyone!

Back