Grind and then accelerate clunk in rear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grind and then accelerate clunk in rear

ukobach

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5pd Auto 4x4
OK, Im no mechanic but my opinion if a trans is going bad your going to have problems getting in the gear, getting it to pull in any gear, or grinding tryn to get it into a gear.

This is a 97 2d 5 speed Auto 4x4. Ford Explorer
When I put it in first and start there is no issue its perfect.
Shifting gears perfect.

When I let off the gas and it slows down without takeing it out of gear or mashing the clutch it starts makeing a grinding noise as if someone tryn to put one in gear without useing a clutch.
I mash the gas it makes a clunk in the rear and then just goes as if theres nothing wrong till I let of the gas again.
I can shift down but when I do it makes a grinding noise as if im not useing the clutch again and when I accelerate it stops.

People down here are so insistant on selling me a 1200 doller transmission that I cant afford at this time instead of actually looking at the problem.

Any information would be helpfull as before the clutch works fine and there are no issues untill i decellerate or accelerate after while still moveing.

Transfer case shift rail bore issue. That's where I'd put my money. It's not going to be much cheaper than a trans rebuild to have it rebuilt properly, but at least it'll fix the problem. :)

Searc for 'grind on decel' or 'grind while coasting' or 'shift rail bore' or 'omega machine' and you'll find plenty of reading material. :)

Back