Grind/growl in engine compartment on start-up and when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grind/growl in engine compartment on start-up and when cold

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Been a long while since I've visited here so hopefully you guys are as helpful as you were two years ago :thumbsup: I did a quick search but came up emty.

Car in Question: 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L, 4x4, automatic, 162k miles, 10k miles on transmission.

Background: I had the transmission changed about 10k miles ago with a remanufactured at a dealership. Other than that the car is completely stock with no running issues other than maybe an alignment issue and out of balance tires.

Problem: Yesterday I drove to run some errands. Parked and did my thing for about an hour or so, long enough for the car to completely cool down. When I started the car there was a low-pitched grinding/growl sound but no problems actually starting. It wasn't so much a grinding as a very uncomfortable rubbing sound. This grinding continued every few seconds until I drove to another parking spot and opened up the hood to listen. The sound was coming from the back of the engine compartment. When the car was warm and at operating temp, the sound disappeared. This cycle has repeated itself several times since then. Other than the noise the car drives completely fine. RPM range is normal. I don't feel like I've lost any power. Engine starts rights up like always.

So what could this mystery noise be? A quick google search has led me towards the starter. Any thoughts?

Back