Grinding Brakes, but don't know why!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding Brakes, but don't know why!!!

NYMount21

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer Premier
Hi all, so my lastest problem is dealing with my front brakes. About 3000 miles ago i had new pads and rotors put on my '00 Mounty. However in the last month, my brakes have been making a serious grinding and squeaking noise.

The squeak comes from braking at any speed, making it sound like the normal noise indicating you need to change your pads.....

Then when i get down to lower speeds after applying the brakes and apply them harder to stop, I get a vicious grinding noise thats sounds like i'm running metal on metal.....

However after taking my front wheels off and inspecting (with a mechanic friend too to make sure i wasn't nuts) the pads and whole assembly is looking fine. I'm at a loss for words and ideas. Even after cleaning, the noises persists!! :confused:

Please help!! Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your wheel bearing hub assemblies if your awd/4wd.. If jack up the front end and grab the tire check for play in & out.. Any excess movement would indicate a failed hub assembly.

I just had my wheel bearings replaced a week after the brakes were done.......U think theres anyway the guy could have screwed something up?? The thing is

A. - I've been driving on them for about 6000 miles and the noise just started
B. - that was done in NH when i went to school there. I'm home in NY now

This is why i'm goin nuts.....

thanks guys

Upper and lower? Are you talking about ball joints?

yea i don't know where my head went on that one.......my bad i'ma check for play tomorrow forgot about tryin that thanx again

Nope, checked for play in the balljoints today - negative. I have no idea what the hell this sound could be but it's horrible.......

Start simple. I once had a little rock caught in the edge of the caliper. Made a horrible racket when I hit the brakes. I was sure I'd screwed up and was down to metal on metal.

The fix was free. I pulled the caliper and dislodged the rock. Rotor was fine.

Make sure your brake caliper bolts are tight.

Back