Grinding noise when turning ONLY right, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise when turning ONLY right,

FordExplorer2002

Reaction score
City, State
Plattsburgh NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
so my suv has been developing a grind when i turn to the right even if its just slightly, and its only when i turn to the right not left or even no noise when going straight, ive checked my bearings and tie rods in the front and rear, only thing i found was that the rear needs rods on both sides cus it has a little play from left to right and u can see its coming from the tie rods,otherwise everything seems nice and tight, its been getting worse over time now and it also it a'lot louder at high speeds, ive looked threw the forums and found some things but none of it sounds like what i,m experiencing, i can get some video if anyone needs it, dose anyone have any idea what it would be otherwise? thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maby your wheel bearing, or your caliper bracket is loose?

ive checked the bearings and they seem good, i havent checked the calipers tho, ill do that and see. ty

ive checked the bearings and they seem good, i havent checked the calipers tho, ill do that and see. ty

Hey, any updates? I've been finding the exact problem with mine. Trying to do some searches for others with same issue. Any info would be great!
Thanks.

bearing hubs

I just replaced my front wheel bearing hubs. Passenger was the worst, only made grinding noise/funky tire noise when I turned left, even a slight amount. Neither tire had play, so there wasn't a test other than knowing my wheel bearings had 169,000 miles on them and were probably the issue.

New hubs and no noise now. Eerily quiet actually, since I was partly blaming bad tires. After the new hubs, tires were nearly silent. It's like your ears build a tolerance to the noise.

Well, I broke down and took it in to get looked at. When I got there, I noticed my new rear brakes were smoking hot. I figured my rear calipers must be hung up.

They said they could not reproduce the grinding noise, and my hot rear brakes were due to FRONT calipers not working. They replaced my front rotors, calipers, and pads. Unfortunately, it was the most expensive brake job I ever had, but at that point, I couldn't drive it around town looking for a better price.

They were right! All is well now. I no longer have the grinding noise and it stops better than it has in a while.

Back