Griz. (the laundry list and where Im going with it) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Griz. (the laundry list and where Im going with it)

Raven Lockwood

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4wd Exp XLT 4dr
Ok, so yes, my 91 eplorer XLT has a name. all my cars have ^.^ Hers is Grizabella, she earns it. looks like hell but when I first got her she purred like a kitten. Physically she looked abused. now, at 122k she's not so young.(11k of that I put on since june 6th when I got her.) My project list is kinda long.

right now She runs rough between 2-3k rpm on acceleration, cruising she sorta smooths out vibration wise, but she's still sluggish. I just had the fuel pump replaced 6 weeks ago, (since then I have no gas gauge!) so a sending unit is on the list of things to get as well... She just got a new set of sparks and wires. I'm slowly trying to eliminate variables as to why she has no guts. suggestions on this front are more than welcome. Ive perused the forums trying to find answers but haven't just yet. Shes a sohv 4L ..I think, I dont believe she's a pushrod, although, honestly how would I tell the difference? there is no owners manual.

The rear wiper motor, Im pretty sure is shot. It has stroked the glass a grand total of three times since I got it. it did work..when the planets aligned perfectly, on one night, since then, nothing. So thats on the list of things to be replaced.

The 4wd indicator, and the buttons have no lights to speak of, hell, I'm lucky I have dash lights at all at the moment. So I have no idea how to tell if and when I am in 4wd. Having never owned a truck of my own where I got to play with the 4wd, this is all new to me. If anyone knows of a good way short of putting it up on a lift to tell what mode it's in, that would help.

other projects are giving her a face lift, she has a bit of a rust issue around the rear doors..:rolleyes: nothing on the frame, just body panels, luckily. rear door frames, hood, rear side panels.

eventually she will be getting slightly modded, but in a very unconventional way... I plan on putting airhorns...the big ones..the kind you find on a freight train on her, with a toggle switch, so I can be nice and beep at people, but blow the doors off the jerks who honk back for spite. no I don't think I will make it quite as loud, but it will sound the same. :smoke:

on a cool note I actually checked off one of the things on my list, replace the door shocks on the rear hatch/trunk. problem...the mount for the left main door shock is GONE! the upper ball that it slips on to is not there. is this a bodyshop job or am I destined to propping it open with a 2x4 forever? ... at least the glass hatch wont hit me in the head anymore....;)

Thanks in advance.
~Raven

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...welcome here, and to the club...:D
...search shift motor thread for the 4wd info...the part on the rear hatch for the shock, don't quote me on what years , but they did have a recall on them for the welds....
...if you ever need used parts, go to the bottom of the forums page and get in contact with kbabiak...
...be sure to take lots of pictures, before and after, and good luck on your project...:D

hey welcome to the club as far as explorer problems go . change your fuel filter for the sluggish concerns i would also check your gear ratio. check your throttle position sensor and transmission fluid level for the acceleration issue. before you check your power to the wiper motor before replacing it. do you have auto hubs if you do then try to convert to manual hubs also for that issue replace all of the bulbs in the dash to eliminate any variables in the lighting issue. when you do this if your transfer case motor is working that 4x4 indicator light should illuminate. your rust is typical for the rust belt so some body work is instore for you. speaking of bodywork ford had released a technical service bullitin for the rear hatch shock. that mount is prone to failure so if you can get a hatch that has a reinforcement peice of metal accross of the mount. then if the new hatch does not come with it you can buy a shock at your local parts store if you have any questions on this pm me

Thanks to both for the responses. lets take this one part at a time.
hey welcome to the club as far as explorer problems go . change your fuel filter for the sluggish concerns
The fuel filter was the next on the list definitely.

i would also check your gear ratio. check your throttle position sensor and transmission fluid level for the acceleration issue.
Not so easy for the amateur type with only basic tools ^.~ but I can at least look into finding someone who knows how.

before you check your power to the wiper motor before replacing it. do you have auto hubs if you do then try to convert to manual hubs also for that issue replace all of the bulbs in the dash to eliminate any variables in the lighting issue.
auto hubs=yes prefer it that way in a place where I dont want them to get frozen (you are in upstate NY too, but Im new and wussy to cold! lol)when I need them most. or, does it make that much a difference, if so, how hard and how much does it usually cost? Also, is there an easy to access area to test the rear wiper motor for power with a multi-meter type device? short of taking the rear hatch panel off that is. I will if I have to, but prefer not to risk destroying it in the process until I practice on a junk or two!

when you do this if your transfer case motor is working that 4x4 indicator light should illuminate.
thats on the short list as well. the lights that is. if that doesn't work I will let you know.

your rust is typical for the rust belt so some body work is instore for you. speaking of bodywork ford had released a technical service bullitin for the rear hatch shock. that mount is prone to failure so if you can get a hatch that has a reinforcement peice of metal accross of the mount. then if the new hatch does not come with it you can buy a shock at your local parts store if you have any questions on this pm me
Is it possible to just replace the mount as opposed to the entire hatch? (less of a pain in the tail that way I would think) if its not then I will save my pennies and scour the yards for one. I will see about getting pictures so you can tell me what the difference is between what I have and the reinforced ones, to the eye.(or if you have pictures of one with the reinforcement?) (hey, I told ya, Im a newbie at this!) I have four new shocks in hand, but only mounts for three of them. It does appear that a weld gave way, as half the mount is there, but there is a perfect circular hole in it where the actual mounting ball went.

And yes, the rust is normal around new england, period hehe, there are trucks around here that are far worse off than she is, but, its on my list of things to fix on her. (so is painting her, but thats a whole other kettle of fish) not an immediate concern but definitely on the list.

you can tell us what the axle code says on the door and we can tell you what your gear ratio is

one step closer!

update: went back and checked the gap of the plugs that got put in, they were all off in one direction or another, so she sounds much better to start with. she still has a vibration between 2-3k, but it is MUCH reduced, however still noticeable.

We couldn't get the fuel filter OFF to change it. is there some trick to getting the pressure fit hoses to come off of the :censored: thing? mine are not the rubber hoses as indicated, they seem to be wrapped in a steel braid.(makes sense, but what a pain!)

as for the axle code...I believe it is 45? (I checked it last night honest! I will check it again today when I have to move her and correct it if I'm wrong.)

Back