• Register Today It's free!

Groaning Lieberman Front End

howellru

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
Just bought my first Explorer, a '96 w/96k on the odo, and I have a few questions/concerns, the first of which is groaning front end. I say "groaning" because as I turn the wheel while pulling out of the driveway or go over bumps at low speeds the front end makes dull aching noises as if the truck is moaning in some sort of a Joe Liebierman whine, "Oh, it hurts when you do that. Why must you do that?"

I read a few posts on front end noises and feel it might be bad bushings, tie rods or ball joints, but I am a little confused about the front end suspension on my rig. As I understand it, the second generation Explorers, like mine, have different suspensions (no radial arms?) than the pre-95 models. Forgive my ignorance, but what other bushings can be replaced/checked?

Also, it seems Ford's stock bushing design is way below par and that aftermarket poly bushing are the smart choice. Any suggestions on where to buy poly kits and how much? I'd also really appreciate a step-by-step guide on replacing bushings, tie rods and ball joints. Pics would be sweet too.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont really know what it is, your research looks good. The reason I am posting is b/c of how you described it. Being unfortunate enough to be from the same state as Lieberman I can assure anyone that he is a really whining pain in the butt. I can only hope and pray that American can see this along with all the rest ofthe crap he pulls and keep him out of office. Presidency in particular.
Anyway I hope you get your X fixed soon, and thanks for the laugh
Gary

Liberman Noise: Might be the PS pump?

Bushings: I would not recommend any "DayStar" products. Just had a fight with my supplier over the sway bar bushings. Daystar supply 5/8" bushings and only one set for my '96 LTD. Comes standard with 2 sway bars and they are much thicker than 5/8". Day star claimed I had a non-standard, non-OEM sway bar fitted truck and acted like I was trying to get something for nothing. Ended up buying sway bar bushings from EE who are THE BEST PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH!

Liberman Noise: Might be the PS pump?
Don't think it's PS pump because the noise appears to come from lower in suspension and there's no ill effects in steering.

Ended up buying sway bar bushings from EE who are THE BEST PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH!
EE?

How difficult would it be to replace sway bar bushings on my rig? BTW, it's bone stock. Also, how many other front end bushing are up front and how much of a chore are they all to replace?

Thanks for the suggestions,

hru out

Originally posted by Rx4phun
I dont really know what it is, your research looks good. The reason I am posting is b/c of how you described it. Being unfortunate enough to be from the same state as Lieberman I can assure anyone that he is a really whining pain in the butt. I can only hope and pray that American can see this along with all the rest ofthe crap he pulls and keep him out of office. Presidency in particular.
Anyway I hope you get your X fixed soon, and thanks for the laugh
Gary

Glad you enjoyed it. Figured I'd use a little humor to get more people to look at — and hopfully reply to — my post.

hru out

PS
Don't worry. I want tell anyone Mr. L and you are such good chums.

EE Explorer Express.
The sway bar job looks like a reasonably easy affair. If my knees were up to it I would have them fiitted in an afternoon. I would call EE and talk with them about a full kit. WISH I HAD!!

The Lieberman Noise

hehe. I guess from here on out all such front-end noises can be called "Lieberman Noise". I wonder if "Zimmerman Mod" got started that way for the leafs. heheh.

Re: The Lieberman Noise

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
hehe. I guess from here on out all such front-end noises can be called "Lieberman Noise". I wonder if "Zimmerman Mod" got started that way for the leafs. heheh.

Zimmerman Mod? Keep in mind, I'm new to the Ex clan. Does a Zimmerman Mod correct saggy Ex butts?

hru out

Back