• Register Today It's free!

Groaning or creaking in frontend

jumpervb

Reaction score
City, State
roanoke,va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT & 2011 XLT
I have a 2000 explorer that has developed a groaning or creaking noise in the frontend but only when the brakes are applied and the strange part is if I put it in reverse and apply the brakes it doesn't make the noise! It is a speed noise. The slower I go the slower the noise.
Any ideas?
I also just had the brake pads replaced and the frontend aligned. the frontend shop had to use some kind of part to align it? Ecentrics? or something like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the groaning/creaking could be ball joints or the sway bar bushings. i would assume the alignment shop would have checked the ball joints and told you if they were bad.

+1 on the ball joints...when you brake you load the front end and it squats. The lower balls are VERY vocal when they are ready to be replaced.

Maybe wheel bearing jack up vehicle pull on the sides for any play then turn the wheel slowly should be smooth. Also put one hand on the spring while you turn with the other if you feel vibration in the spring could be bearing. Let the vehicle down almost to the ground take crow bar or lug bar pry up on tire have someone spotting the ball joints see if theirs play. Check springs too for damage.

could be the control arm bushings .go out and push down on the corner of the fender and make the corner of the truck bounce up and down ,if you hear the noise its probably the control arm bushings .
you could have someone listen in that area while you bounce it .

once they start making noise it just gets worse ,never better .

Long shot here since it sounds like rotational noise. Inspect your sway bar frame bushings for wear, and also the end links while under there. Spray the frame bushings with penetrant where they contact the bar and test drive. Cheap, easy fix.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1362440,parttype,7624

It is rotational noise. Only does it while moving forward with brakes applied, does not do it in reverse.
It is not a metallic grinding. sort of a rubber against rubber or rubber against metal.

do you know what brand/quality of brake pads were installed? were the rotor's turned/replaced? i've experienced weird sounds with Autozone's less expensive pads (and i'm not even talking about their cheap-o Valucrap brand). take it back to whoever did the brake job and tell them it's making noise. i'm currently using Autozone's C-Max ceramic pads on the front of all my trucks and i'm very happy with them. Wagner Thermo-Quiet are also a very good pad.

do you know what brand/quality of brake pads were installed? were the rotor's turned/replaced? i've experienced weird sounds with Autozone's less expensive pads (and i'm not even talking about their cheap-o Valucrap brand). take it back to whoever did the brake job and tell them it's making noise. i'm currently using Autozone's C-Max ceramic pads on the front of all my trucks and i'm very happy with them. Wagner Thermo-Quiet are also a very good pad.

Not a brake noise. Mechanic that put the pads on does not get low grade parts and he has had the X back and put some shims in somewhere but that didn't fix it. I will take it back to him but I'm just seeking out ideas and opinions to see if I can pinpoint the problem for him.
Thanks!

the groaning/creaking could be ball joints or the sway bar bushings
Inspect your sway bar frame bushings for wear
On line diagnosis for suspension noises is difficult to pinpoint. Have you checked these?

Back