*** Group Purchase Special Pricing For JL Audio Stealthbox *** | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*** Group Purchase Special Pricing For JL Audio Stealthbox ***

magic man,

the stealthbox is a totally optimized subwoofer system. When JL designs a stealthbox for a vehicle,they test all of their subwoofers, adjust the air space to optimize each subwoofer, and then they test all of the combinations. The end result is that you get the best subwoofer(for the application) in the perfect amount of air, so that the subwoofer system sounds the best that it possibly can for that particular vehicle.

does that help,

Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea that sounds cool and all but will a 10W3 fit? If so how does it sound! Yea yea JL TSD says this and that... Has anyone put a 10W3,10W6, or anything else in this box or what? But paying so much for a stealth box...might as well get a higher end woofer in it right??

I posted earlier about this. JL says that the w3 and w6 will not work in the explorer stealthbox or the vantage. It might fit but the sub may not sound very good. Of course, JL could be lying but I would take their word.

JL or NON JL

Hrmmm ok..... so whats the whole point of the JL vantage box then? If the only subs that will fit (and sound good) is the *JL* Audio 10W0 and 10W1. Same subs that go into the JL Stealth box! If any one knows of a sub better than a 10W1 non JL that can fit (and sound good) let me know.

thanks....

From my experience, you cannot judge the different JL woofers by their pricetag. A 10W0 will outperform a 10W3 or a 10W6 if you only have a 100-150 watt amp. With the JL Audio woofers, you want to match up the power output of your amp (watts RMS)with the correct woofer(s).

I know that the W0 and W1 are fantastic woofers. I made it all the way to the 1992 IASCA Finals (in Tulsa) with (2) JL 10W0 woofers and 400 watts of PPI power on them. My car was built for sound quailty car.

On another note, I'll check into the W6 and W3 as far as fitting into the Vantage box. If anything, the W6 will have a better chance. The W3 has a deeper mounting depth than the W6.

I'll get back to ya,

Andrew

Interested

I am interested how long till we do this so i can save up some money quick like. I am moving towards the vantige box and the 10w0. How does that sound for everyone what amp should i get(how many watts). timeing is everything whith my finances.

The idea behind the vantage box is that it is cheaper than the stealthbox, it is made of cheaper materials, so the quality might be a little less. The problems is that there is not enough room behind the panel in the explorer to fit the bigger (w3 and w6) subs, its not just that the box can't fit those subs. Basically the vantage box is a cheaper alternative to the stealthbox. It the w3 or w6 would actually work in someones experience that would be nice to know. I just dont want to buy the box and then not have it fit, that would be kind of upsetting.

Keysersoze

question: how do you like your head unit i have been thinking about getting that model or the x915 but i am not sure what is so diffrent about the two of them.

Stealth this Stealth that

Ok guys I think I get it now. The vantage may be a disadvatage because of its lesser contruction. Hrmm the W6 has the funky impedence but could work out nice with the proper amplifier. I was also interested in the kenwood X915. The 915 lacks the internal amplifier in the deck. So you must use a external amplifier. Ok so now where is a good place to hide a external amp?

I have the 815, the one with the amp. I like it a lot, puts out good sound and the display is really nice. There is a review of it in car audio and electronics, in the october 2000 issue. You might be able to find it online somewhere. I would recommend it though. You could easily hide an amp in the rear side where the factory sound system was. There is plenty of space for and amp or two back there. I want to put my sub amp back there at some point, just been too busy.

I really get it now hehe.......

I checked the specs on the JL woofers. The W1 has a overall depth of 4.8". The W3 is has a 6.4" overall mounting depth. Its too big! So what I plan todo is find a better 10" woofer the has the same size monting depth to mount into the vantage. Id like to pump a little more than 125W RMS.

By stealthbox do you mean the MTX thunderform, or the JL Audio stealthbox. I'm pretty sure that JL doesn't make a stealthbox with a built in amp. Also Circuit City doesn't sell JL do they? Just double checking what you post says.

It was probably MTX thunderform or Q-logic loaded with some woofer. I know CC doesnt sell JL. BTW is the Q-logic anygood?

I have a friend who got the q-logic box and an Infinity Perfect 10" sub. The sub was too deep for the box so it stuck out about 3/4". The box and sub have been sitting in his closet for about a year. That's my only experience with that box.

OK! well from the looks of it the perfect 10" is huge!
hehe

oh yea...are Boston CX8 8"? If so where did you install them?

[Edited by soupbone on 10-30-2000 at 06:14 PM]

No, the CX8 is the low end boston 5x7. I bought them as a temporary solution to blown factory speakers and haven't replaced them yet. They sound pretty good though. Obviously they are in the factory speaker location.

JL Stealthbox

Nuts!!!

Last weekend, I put in a stealthbox 10w1 i my car and had never seen this posting. Oh well.

Here's my take.

I shopped around, and only one person actually came down from the MSRP of $549, and that was the store that sold me my deck, CD changer, and amp. I thought I got it for a song at $480. I'm jealous of you guys.

The box and speaker are rated at 125 RMS, but that means that the speaker can withstand 125 watts RMS for eight hours with no damage to the unit. How often do you play some serious bass for eight hours? The store also told me they would put an amp of 200-250 watts on the sub and guarantee it for two years against failure. So that's my next step.

The stealthbox is teh best idea if you want good bass, without sacrificing the reason you purchased the Explorer.

Karl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry that you missed out on this one.

I spoke with the JL dealer that we are doing this group purchase. He said that he can also hook us up with some very special prices on amps for the stealthboxes. he mentioned Phoenix Gold, Alpine, and Lightning Audio for the amps. I still need to get prices though.

Andrew

Back