Grunizzle's 91 STX | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Grunizzle's 91 STX

Grunizzle

Reaction score
City, State
LRAFB, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger STX
Well I have mostly been on the ranger station but lately I have been looking at a lot of tech articles on here so I figured I might as well join.

Here is what my truck looks like today:
CIMG1371.jpg

CIMG1432.jpg

CIMG1435.jpg

CIMG1389_0001.jpg

List of mods:
-Sony xplod ipod deck
-shift boot cup holders
-blue led dash lights
-2'' body lift
-31x10.50 procomp extreme all terrains
-warn manual hubs
-powertrax no slip rear locker
-aero turbine 25/25 with custom side exit
-ruff stuff rear dif. cover
-homemade front and rear bumpers
-Clear headlight turns and corners
-removed factory axle blocks and installed beltech 6400 shackles (reduced axle wrap)

List of specs:
- 1991 super cab ranger 4x4 STX
- 4.0l V6 162000 miles
- M50d manual transmission
- electric shift transfer case
- D35/ 8.8 3.73

I have a lot more pictures if anyones interested.

Right now I am getting ready to do some major changes. I have a 31 spline 8.8 riding around in the bed soon to be getting 4.56s and a detroit locker (should be here tomorrow). I also have a 4.56 geared D35 in my room waiting for all the parts to come together (and a lock rite), as well as 2'' lift coils and an AAL.

My plan is to run 33x10.50 BFG km2 tires.

My rig currently is my DD and I use it for camping, trails, and moderate offroading. By next spring I plan for it to be a offroad only rig.
I will update this as I go along with my build, I am planning to have the new axle under axle under it within 2 weeks!

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Welcome aboard...:salute:

...and your plans for your Ranger sounds great...:biggthump

Grunizzle

Reaction score
City, State
LRAFB, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger STX
Well I ventured down to superlift orv park again and met up with ScottyJ. He has a pretty cool ranger
CIMG1438.jpg

After wheeling with him on 2's for a few hours he took off and I met up with some guys from Arkansas crawlers 4x4 club. They were all really nice and we went and did some lvl 3's and lvl 4's (rubicon ridge and gulch). I didn't think my truck would be capable of doing some of they stuff we did lol. I unfortunately only got one picture.
CIMG1442.jpg

This adventure makes me even more ready for my axle/gear swap! And I can't wait for a front locker and bigger tires!

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
nice ranger u got there u plan on doing mods to it

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
...u plan on doing mods to it
Try to read before posting:

Right now I am getting ready to do some major changes. I have a 31 spline 8.8 riding around in the bed soon to be getting 4.56s and a detroit locker (should be here tomorrow). I also have a 4.56 geared D35 in my room waiting for all the parts to come together (and a lock rite), as well as 2'' lift coils and an AAL.

My plan is to run 33x10.50 BFG km2 tires.

My rig currently is my DD and I use it for camping, trails, and moderate offroading. By next spring I plan for it to be a offroad only rig.

Grunizzle

Reaction score
City, State
LRAFB, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger STX
The current mods are in the op

CIMG1436.jpg

Grunizzle

Reaction score
City, State
LRAFB, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger STX
Well I figure I might as well update this thing. My new exploder 8.8 is under the knife getting the gears and detroit in it right now. I sold the 2'' lift springs I had and just went all out for a duff 3'' lift. I also got some extended radius arms and tranny crossmember. Basically I am just waiting on the axle to get finished, shocks, brake lines, bushings and it to cool the #### down lol
CIMG1456.jpg

Grunizzle

Reaction score
City, State
LRAFB, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger STX
more axle parts showed up today! .375 u bolt plates and 3 1/4 x 5/8 u bolts. This is some beefy stuff, good job ruff stuff!
CIMG1458.jpg

Grunizzle

Reaction score
City, State
LRAFB, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger STX
CIMG1459.jpg

5125s for the rear, and the duff stuff up front. 4 day weekend and payday coming up, time to get shit done!

Grunizzle

Reaction score
City, State
LRAFB, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger STX
Well went into the shop today to get my extended radius arms on. I was really excited. Started at ten and got it up on the lift and started taking shit apart.
CIMG1461.jpg
CIMG1462.jpg
CIMG1460.jpg

About 4 hours into disassembly I have both old,radius arms removed, hubs and calipers removed and the axles supported. The old rad arms were a major PITS to get off all four bolts had to be torched and then hit with a big ass impact wrench. Then I move down to the fun stuff and start getting the new radius arm brackets mounted. I go to get the new tranny x-member in and it does not mount up properly. On one side its about 3/4 inch to far out and the other side about 1/2 inch to far in. FML. Reassemly begins. And its way harder to install the beams and shit lol.

Total time spent: 8 hours. Total accomplished: 0.

Grunizzle

Reaction score
City, State
LRAFB, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger STX
Well the new 8.8 is in:yahoo:! And I am way over geared now lol, but my clutch is enjoying it. Took about 5 hours to do the swap. The guy that put the gears in was kind enough to let me use his shop!:headbang:
The new stuff
CIMG1469.jpg

CIMG1476.jpg

CIMG1477.jpg

CIMG1478.jpg

CIMG1479.jpg

CIMG1484.jpg

This is for the passengers lol
CIMG1481.jpg

Tires match the front width pretty good now
CIMG1485.jpg

CIMG1483.jpg