GT-40 Head Roller Rockers

performancenut

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0
Hey enthusiasts,

Anyone with roller rocker experience in the 5.0 V-8 with GT-40 heads (not P). In process of selecting roller rockers from Comp Cams; haven't had the valve covers off recently;are the stock rockers mounted with bolts or studs? Comp is unclear now on the specific item to order and I'd like to select/order these items correctly the first time for a one-time tear-down and install. (custom cam grind for 10-11 PSI, head rework P&P, and another dynotune by Doug from Bama)

Any guidance and sharing of information/experience would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock rockers are mounted with 5/16" bolts, on pedestals--bolt on.

You can have the heads machined to accept studs-if you do go for 7/16" studs.

From what I am told-the roller type pedestals don't like much more lift, or revs over 5800 rpms--nor do the springs.

The stock rockers are mounted with 5/16" bolts, on pedestals--bolt on.

You can have the heads machined to accept studs-if you do go for 7/16" studs.

Thx JT; always can depend on your expertise.

I installed Ford 1.6 roller rockers and new springs and retainers when I installed my E-303 camshaft.

The GT-40 heads are pedastle style mount, the valve train is non adjustable (as far as valve lash)

I will be replacing my lifters and pushrods next, I made the mistake of going withth efactory parts with 84K miles on them and I have a lifter making noise

the install is covered in my Explorer build thread (in my sig)

I hear you.

So, what recommendations for lifters would you share? My original plan was to use the stock ones at 100K but it would be dumb not to replace them while inside. I will be running a blower cam and roller rockers (they arrived yesterday) but need to quickly order the lifters while time allows. Saw a brand in Summitt that is a "variable" lifter with less lift at lower RPM for better low end torque, and full lift at higher RPM. Any thoughts? Gimmick?

Back