Guage Cluster?!?

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Anyone know where I can get a guage cluster out of a 2001 Explorer Sport or any year sport trac, i was fiddling around with my guages, probably broke em trying to make some custom white face guages. Note for everyone else, dont bother with the guages, lol, its a pain in the a$$. So i'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me out here, right now my truck is undriveable in the garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

I got an offer for 182.50 for a guage cluster out of a 01 exp sport, should i take it?

That's ALOT of money to pay for the gauge cluster. Is that new?

I would double check and make absolutely sure it will fit in your 96 before you buy it. That sounds like a good price for what you are getting, but I would call a dealership and also contact Ford Parts Network for prices to get an idea on the price range for a new one and then go from there.

Do you realize that your mileage will now be wrong with the cluster change and if you ever go to sell your truck you must report it to the buyer?? Reporting incorrect mileage can get you into a lot of trouble. Regardless of the circumstances, the cluster change and incorrect mileage will greatly reduce the resale and trade-in value of your truck. I would look further into fixing your current guage cluster before getting a new one.

Yes, I talked to torrie, he doesnt sell em. I was hoping maybe if i took it to ford and explained i broke mine trying to make it white, maybe some mechanic there might be able to set it at the current mileage.

That might work, but since the guages aren't the original ones, it might be hard to prove to a trained eye that the mileage is correct. It light come back to bite you later on. Anyway, good luck and let us know what happens.

stephen i know it works, some guy had pics of it in his 97 ranger on sounddomain, it looked nice! he said everything swapped out smoothly, so im figuring why not on mine, ya know? Thanks for the advice tho :)

post some pics when you install it...

Will do Leenjen!

Originally posted by espnfreak
Yes, I talked to torrie, he doesnt sell em. I was hoping maybe if i took it to ford and explained i broke mine trying to make it white, maybe some mechanic there might be able to set it at the current mileage.

I think "setting" the new odometer to the mileage your truck is odometer fraud. Once it's installed, the dealer has to write a cerificate stating that the odometer has been changed and has to show what mileage the odometer was changed and the current mileage on the cluster you're installing.

I wish you luck and be sure to take some pics once it's done. :)

I'm not trying to scam anyone here, all i want is the new speedometer to show the current mileage the old one had. I'm not going to be selling my truck for awhile anyways, so it wont matter, at least 5+ yrs

Ask around. I know you won't be selling your rig but the mileage has to be registered when you do the annual inspection...assuming inspection is a mandatory thing in Illinois. If I remember correctly, if the odometer was tempered, it considered fraud.

Unfortunately, your good intentions won't matter much. Billy said what I was trying to say. Manually changing the odometer to read the current mileage must be fraud, because you could just as easily roll the odometer back. Although scamming the next owner of your truck is not your intent, changing an odometer reading in any fashion will be frowned upon. As I said before, if you do this, don't expect to get much when you sell it, even if it is 5+ years from now.

Example: The odometer stopped working in my friend's 94 T-bird while the car was under warranty (only 13,000 miles old). When it stopped, the only place he drove was to the dealer to get it fixed. They couldn't fix it, so they put in a new one, all zeroes. There was some paper work filled out explaining the problem, mileage, ect... and a new sticker was placed on the door pillar with the date of the change and the mileage at the change. Well, he recently traded the car in and when the dealer saw that, the most they would give him for a trade was $1500, while it was worth more than that...even though the guage actually broke and it was changed by a Ford dealer under warranty. He lost a bunch of money on the trade because of it. Just so you know.

Thanks for the input, it may be my only solution now as i think i busted my cluster tryin to make those custom white face guages

well, id get some gauges that will fit and will work and then let ford calibrate what they have to. my wheel guy also does gauges and he sends stuff to ford all the time to get redone. its no big deal, theyll just set the new gauges cluster to read 8 million miles, or whatver you have on your truck ;) . i dont know all the in's and out's, but if they have to give you a certificate, like someone said earlier, then big deal, you get a certificate. one thing though, dont expect ford to do this for free.

Back