• Register Today It's free!

Guide on doing an LED swap

iitsfrost

Reaction score
City, State
Piedmont, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Is there a post anywhere on here with a guide on how to do an LED swap on a 98 Explorer? I've already replaced all my interior lights, cluster, dome, mirror, tag lights etc with LED's. But the ones I'm seeming to have trouble finding any info on is LED swapping stuff like, reverse lights, brake lights, turn signals, fog lights, etc. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: It seems from the other threads I've seen that it'll really only be worth swapping my main headlights and fog lights to LEDs, and easier too. And just sticking with normal incandescent bulbs for everything else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am utilizing LEDs for turn signals and running lights that I looked-up online. The only thing I needed to do was change the flasher to a different style to work with the LEDs. Autozone hooked me up with the correct flasher.

I have yet to try LED bulb replacements for the headlights. I don't think a bulb replacement with the Ranger headlights I am running would work well. These are old style with reflectors designed around a single filament, not several LEDs. I don't think the LED's would work well that I saw, when I ungraded a couple years ago.................I bought LEDs here: LED Headlight & Fog Light Bulbs | Car and Pick-Up Truck | Super Bright LEDs

I am utilizing LEDs for turn signals and running lights that I looked-up online. The only thing I needed to do was change the flasher to a different style to work with the LEDs. Autozone hooked me up with the correct flasher.

I have yet to try LED bulb replacements for the headlights. I don't think a bulb replacement with the Ranger headlights I am running would work well. These are old style with reflectors designed around a single filament, not several LEDs. I don't think the LED's would work well that I saw, when I ungraded a couple years ago.................
Yeah i think that led headlights would work alright on mine because my headlight assemblies aren’t stock.

If you could link me to the turn signal leds and flasher that would be great !

Vehicle look-up here: Car and Pick-Up Truck | Vehicle Lighting | Super Bright LEDs

I have clear sidemarkers/running lights up front and the amber LEDs light them up well. Here's a pic with halo fogs and the amber LEDs as running side markers. The turns signals in this pic are incandescent bulbs:
fogs.jpg

From their site:
LED lighting draws much less power and lasts much longer than standard incandescent lighting. The lower current draw will cause what is known as hyperflashing, where the LED bulb will blink faster than the stock bulb. This can be fixed with a flasher or load resistor.

Vehicle look-up here: Car and Pick-Up Truck | Vehicle Lighting | Super Bright LEDs

I have clear sidemarkers/running lights up front and the amber LEDs light them up well.

From their site:
LED lighting draws much less power and lasts much longer than standard incandescent lighting. The lower current draw will cause what is known as hyperflashing, where the LED bulb will blink faster than the stock bulb. This can be fixed with a flasher or load resistor.
Awesome thank you !

Back