DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
If the T-case is engaging (lights indicate 4x4), but the front end doesn't feel like its locked then one or more hubs are most likely blown. If you are having T-Case engagement issues check out the 4x4 Trouble shooting thread.

The easiest way to test hubs (on vehicles with open diffs) while the vehicle is still on the ground:

To test for a blown Auto Hub;
1) Put T-case in 4x2 (disengage 4x4)
2) Crawl under the truck and rotate the axle shaft (any direction). After several revolutions the autohub should click and lock. If you can still rotate the axle shaft the hub is blown..
3) Repeat #2 on the opposite axle shaft..

To test for a blown manual Hub;
2) Lock in the Hubs
2) Crawl under the truck and try and rotate the axle shaft (any direction). If you can rotate the shaft the hub is blown..

If the T-case is engaging (lights indicate 4x4), but the front end doesn't feel like its locked then one or more hubs are most likely blown. If you are having T-Case engagement issues check out the 4x4 Trouble shooting thread.

The easiest way to test hubs (on vehicles with open diffs) while the vehicle is still on the ground:

To test for a blown Auto Hub;
2) Crawl under the truck and rotate the axle shaft (any direction). After several revolutions the autohub should click and lock. If you can still rotate the axle shaft the hub is blown..

To test for a blown manual Hub;
2) Lock in the Hubs
2) Crawl under the truck and try and rotate the axle shaft (any direction). If you can rotate the shaft the hub is blown..

You lost me...

How do you put the case in 4x2? The auto hubs shouldn't lock in without the selector pushed for 4x4---right?

How are you turning an axle shaft without having the vehicle jacked up first?

And once it is jacked up, what keeps the other side of the axle (the opposite wheel) from turning?

BTW, I have the 4.10 limited slip with supposedly a factory locker of some sort in the rear axle.

You lost me...

How do you put the case in 4x2? The auto hubs shouldn't lock in without the selector pushed for 4x4---right?

How are you turning an axle shaft without having the vehicle jacked up first?

And once it is jacked up, what keeps the other side of the axle (the opposite wheel) from turning?

BTW, I have the 4.10 limited slip with supposedly a factory locker of some sort in the rear axle.

...have you followed his directions as they are written??? first, make sure your selection is in 4x2 mode...:rolleyes:

Back