bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
Hey guys been thinking lately of putting in some type of secure way to store some firearms in the ol ex, for hunting season as well as just EDC,I would prefer something that I can get to rather easily yet not in plain sight as too attract theft, saw some roof mounts at Cabela's was also thinking of floor mount behind the console but not quite sure. Was wondering if any body has installed something like this as they don't make (of course) any thing directly suited to second gen explorers I like the roof mounted idea because it's out of the way, out of sight for window shoppers and still easy to get too if need be in these days that seem to be getting more volatile with Mass shootings and everything, would like to be able to lock it if I had too to make it hard to steal without tools and I'm talking long guns BTW, shotgun and rifle for deer season and an AR-15 otherwise, if I don't get help here (because this may seem somewhat left field for EF) and I figure out something I'll post pics for any body else interested in hunting, going to the range or just exercising there second amendment rights to bear. Only looking for ideas, please do not start into politics and what not, that's not what EF is about and it should stay that way as it's shoved down your throat by everything else nowadays. Anyway If you have done something like this id love to see some pictures!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My AR just sits behind my seat wrapped in a towel....But I also don't leave it in the truck unless I'm in it. I have seen police type rifle locks. I know they are made for new Explorers. I have seen cops with them. Mounted on the cage.

Yes I've seen those but like you said they are mostly for the new explorer cruisers, I'm mainly leaning to the roof mount as it's completely out of the way for loading up on camping gear/weekend off road trip etc. It would be easy to get to and out of sight so it's not obvious that a rifle worth more than the blue book value of my ex is just a broken window away, I wouldn't plan on leaving it in there much, mainly for when I go out of town, and to store my hunting guns during the fall and winter months only issue is the universal two gun sky rack requires drilling through the roof which I'm not real excited about.

The roof is one thing i know I could seal that up with some fender washers and neoprene washers four holes isn't a big deal would be fairly easy to do and it's only like $~100 for the sky rack, I do like the police style ones but with the electronic locking mechanism and all there pretty pricey, but any way, getting through the headliner without messing it up or pinching it is what I'm mainly concerned about.

You could use a high strength epoxy and bond tabs to the roof metal.

I've also seen those shelves that bolt to the front of the roof where the visors are. Not sure if there's a direct fit but you could fab it.

Big Sky Racks Sky-Bar Gun Rack : Cabela's

I like this one as it bypasses going through the roof and it's removable, are the rails on the sides underneath the plastic trim that meets the headliner adequate for mounting this?

I need to pull the trim off any way to adjust the oil line coming in to my pillar gauges it's pinched and eventually it'll probably start leaking I'll check out the metal while I'm in there, that would be simple to just use a couple of self tap screws and be done with it for $100 I think this will be what I'm looking for ill have to come up with something that will able me to put some kind of lock on it if I need too.

I've seen security boxes that can be placed under the backseat though not sure if it will work on your rig.

I like that idea I would just install some Velcro straps but the explorer rear seat doesn't pull up to my knowledge like some pick ups, it also gets lower to the floor when seats are laid down. So that wouldn't work I think the sky rack is looking good I'd also like a drawer system though and I could dedicate a locking drawer to firearm related items any commercial available pull out drawers or does everybody build them there selves?

A pistol would be super easy, and an off the shelf solution. The AR will almost have to be custom, unfortunately. Locking pistol drawers are readily available, but not cheap.

I have a pistol holster under the steering column for occasional carry, and just built an AR pistol in 300blk with a total length of only 24" it is by law considered a pistol by definition and not a rifle, so with my CWP I can have it anywhere in the vehicle (as well within national and state parks) and loaded that would be the AR I carry other than my trusty 9mm handgun, but the only time I carry either one of those or any other gun for that matter other than my concealed carry .380 on my person is (other than transporting them to Target shoot or hunt with) is when I go out of town and far away from home ie...when I go trail riding/camping in the mountains, there have been serial type murders around there and fatal animal attacks but it's more for just peace of mind really than actually believing I'll get axe murdered by West Virginia hillbillies and eaten by bears, but I was in the boy scouts for awhile as a kid and have done a lot of back packing and back country camping and one thing that always stuck with me and made a lot of since to me was the Motto of "always be prepared", as I refuse to be a statistic. In fact, The last time I went 4 wheeling back in October I had a large animal come into camp on the big levels/bald mountain trail and got into the trash ( that I moved well away from camp before bed) after' apparently sniffing around and brushing up against the tent (I was asleep, my girlfriend told me about it in the morning) so it is a reality for me ......... Any way, I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on the project , the ex doesn't really spend much time on the road to begin with. it's more of my play toy now, as I have a take home work vehicle, and a Ford focus for errand running. I'm really leaning towards the sky rack but I'm not planning on it right away so it's not set in stone yet.

Back